Seattle University's student newspaper since 1933

The Spectator

Seattle University's student newspaper since 1933

The Spectator

Seattle University's student newspaper since 1933

The Spectator

Women’s Basketball Continues Skid

    After two losses at home, Seattle University women’s basketball suffered two more tough losses on the road against Chicago State and University of Missouri-Kansas City. Considering the Redhawks beat both teams at home in January, these two consecutive losses proved to be frustrating.

    The team travelled to Chicago to play against the Chicago State Cougars on Feb. 4. When the teams squared off here in Seattle in January, the Redhawks beat the Cougars 59-45.

    Seattle U started the first half strong with senior center Taelor Ross helping the Redhawks gain an early lead against the Cougars, knocking down two jumpers and followed by a three point shot from junior point guard Kaylee Best. The Redhawks ended the first quarter leading 13-10.
    The Cougars fought back and closed the gap in the second quarter, eventually taking a 27-23 lead into the half.

    While the Cougars would keep the lead in the second half of the game, it was not without a good fight from the Redhawks. Best and sophomore guard Jacinta Beckley were able to bring the Redhawks back to within five twice before the Cougars pulled ahead, ending the game with a 57-49 win over the Redhawks.

    This was a tough loss for the Redhawks to a team they had previously beaten by 14 points. Ross played well, earning a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Best also scored in the double digits, earning 11 points for the Redhawks.

    Next up was the University of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos on Feb. 6. Although narrowly beating the Kangaroos 69-63 at home in January, this game was not as close as the Redhawks were unable to gain any momentum and come back after a bad first half.

    The first half proved to be the defining factor of the game, with the Kangaroos launching a 13-0 run to start the game. Seattle U finally scored their first points after Shaylin Heredia went 1-for-2 from the freethrow line towards the end of the first quarter. While Heredia and sophomore guard Delanie Parry were able to put some points on the board for the Redhawks, the Kangaroos led 21-3 at the end of the first quarter.

    The Redhawks started a rally in the second quarter but were unable to overcome the 18 point deficit from the first quarter. Senior forward Cydnee Ceballos and sophomore guard Ashlyn Lewey scored 6 unanswered points, helping the Redhawks to gain some momentum. Despite this, the Kangaroos led 38-11 at halftime.

    The beginning of the third quarter saw the Redhawks at their peak, earning 13 unanswered points over the Kangaroos. This momentum was short lived, as the Kangaroos came back with 12 points, leading 52-30 at the beginning of the fourth quarter. They were able to keep the lead, beating the Redhawks 64-43.

    This was a low-scoring game for the Redhawks as they could not come back from the early lead of the Kangaroos; Parry and Lewey both scored 8 points.
    The Redhawks return home before leaving for Phoenix to play Grand Canyon University on Feb. 13.

    Leave a Comment
    More to Discover
    About the Contributor

    Comments (0)

    All The Spectator Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *