Sevenbeef Serves up Beef that Ruins Lives, in a Good Way

Cam Peters • The Spectator

Jarrod Gallagher
    Staff Writer

Vegans beware, there’s a new threat to your mission in town.

It’s not legislation and it’s not gentrification.

It’s Sevenbeef Steak Shop.

Before experiencing Sevenbeef, it would have been possible to happily live one’s life without consuming meat. Life post Sevenbeef, however, is one of desire and yearning for everything a cow has to offer to the culinary world.

Sevenbeef is a one of a kind steak restaurant that recently opened its doors on 13th and Jefferson. Much of what the restaurant serves up is sure to have customers returning to try it again and again; locally sourced grass-fed beef from Heritage Meats in Rochester, Wash., the giant wood fire grill and open kitchen, the cool atmosphere and most importantly, the staff.

Looking through the menu, you’ll notice that Sevenbeef not only serves fresh meat from less than two hours outside of Seattle, but that the fine chefs behind the counter will proceed to turn that meat into a celebration of beef itself. Standard available cuts include Côte de Bœuf, Porterhouse, T-Bone and many more.

Sevenbeef flexes its culinary prowess by putting exotic dishes such as beef congee and bone marrow on their happy hour menu, just because they can. I tried both of these for the first time at Sevenbeef and have been questioning how I managed to live this long without ever tasting the heavenly mixture of beef and porridge in the congee or the buttery beefy profile of the beef marrow before. Luckily, those dishes are only $7 on the happy hour menu, so I didn’t have to go broke to learn this important life lesson.

The quality of the restaurant shines in their signature dish, Bò 7 Món, which is their take on the traditional Seven Course Vietnamese dinner. For $40 per person, customers can try their beef seven ways! While I didn’t have the opportunity to try this beefy feast, I would love to go back and try all seven courses.

The cheeseburger was a perfect meal burger. The patty was perfectly flame broiled on the open grill to my exact specifications (medium). I also got to see the chef put my burger on the grill and I could smell the meat being seared over the burning wood. The cheese is melted on top and there are vegetables involved as well. All of that with a side of fresh cut fries, at the perfect price of, you guessed it, $7.

The menu also includes a variety of drinks and liquors, both of which the staff will happily pair with their many meals. Wines are brought from California, France, Chile and Washington. There are also all the bourbon options one could dream of and beers from all over the country that can accompany your steaks and have a cozy little soiree in your belly. I went with the local staple, Rainier and a shot of whiskey, which paired well with my meal.

The lighting in Sevenbeef, provided only by candles on the tables and small globe lights in the ceiling, offers a romantic but dark vibe. The wood fire grill gives off a ton of light as it is ignited to cook orders and the big open kitchen is lit up brightly as well; creating a stage like atmosphere with the chefs checking recipe cards and making dishes to order.

Many things will make you want to return to Sevenbeef and the food is just part of that. The staff provide customers with a one of a kind experience and extensive knowledge of the menu and its ingredients. They’ll even let you know which shot, taken from a hollowed out beef bone, would go best with their finest cheeseburger.

Sevenbeef will make you lose sleep at night with a hunger for finely cooked and seasoned meat. It deserves nothing less than a 5/5.

Jarrod may be reached at [email protected]