Men’s Basketball Wins Third Straight Game

The Seattle University men’s basketball team had a successful road trip last week and currently find themselves riding a three-game winning streak.

The Redhawks defeated Utah Valley last Thursday at the UCCU Center by the score of 73-62. Junior guard Brendan Westendorf led the Redhawks in scoring, tying a season-high with 20 points on 7-of-13 shooting from the floor. He also filled out the stat sheet with six rebounds, five assists and three steals. The Redhawks showed strong presence in the frontcourt as senior center Jack Crook and freshman center Aaron Menzies combined for 22 points, 11 rebounds and two blocks.

Seattle U was able to hold the Wolverines to under 31 percent shooting from the floor, keeping the number two ranked scoring team in the WAC 13 points below their season average. The Redhawks forced 16 turnovers and managed to score 20 points off of those turnovers. Bench scoring also proved to be a difference maker as the Redhawk bench outscored the Wolverines bench 21-9.

The second leg of last week’s road trip came on Saturday, as Seattle U traveled to GCU Arena to take on Grand Canyon University. In a matchup with the top ranked team in the WAC, the Redhawks came away with a victory over the Antelopes, 59-57.

After being down 35-27 at halftime, the Redhawks shot 48 percent from the floor in the second half en route to a 14-3 scoring run that put them up by six points with less than five minutes remaining in the game, however, the Antelopes regained possession but were unable to convert their final possession and saw their 12-game winning streak come to an end.

The Redhawk defense was on display again as they held Grand Canyon (19-3, 6-1 WAC), the conference’s top scoring team, to 22 points below their season average.

Westendorf again lead the Redhawks with 14 points on 7-of-14 shooting. He also led the team with four assists and three steals. Junior forward William Powell led the Redhawks in rebounds with eight while Westendorf and Menzies each chipped in with seven rebounds of their own.

The Redhawks (10-11, 4-3 WAC) have now won three straight games for the first time since February of last year and have won three straight road games for the first time since 2009. As the first half of conference play comes to a close the Redhawks sit in fourth place and return home to Key Arena this week for a three game home stand, starting with a matchup against Chicago State this Thursday at 7 p.m.

The editor may be reached at [email protected]