Men’s Soccer Opens WAC Season With Pair of Wins

Kyle Kotani
    Kyle Kotani • the spectator

In the spirit of their No. 24 national ranking in the NSCAA Coaches’ Poll, the Seattle University Men’s soccer team showed its worth as they cruised to a pair of victories over the weekend. Friday night’s 5-1 drubbing of University of Missouri, Kansas City was accompanied by a solid 2-0 win over Air Force on Sunday afternoon.

KYLE KOTANI • the spectator
    KYLE KOTANI • the spectator

Midfielder #19 Augustin Andrade III takes a shot at the goal early in the first period

In the nightcap on Friday, it was freshman Sergio Rivas who broke through UMKC’s backline in the 12th minute and tucked his finish in at the near post to get the Redhawks rolling. Dominating the lion’s share of possession, Seattle U didn’t look back and Agustin Andrade’s sensational goal on 19 minutes all but sealed the three points. The sophomore found himself with the ball on the top of the penalty area, and after a smart cut inside to his right foot, Andrade curled his shot into the top right corner—kissing the crossbar and leaving the Roos’ keeper Henrik Regitnig motionless.

In the second half more of the same ensued for the home side, as Rivas and forward David Olsen continued to cause UMKC trouble with their sharp movement. Fewing’s side was able to bring on a plethora of substitutions in the second period, with Michael Roberts edging the Redhawks’ advantage to 3-0 just a minute and 18 seconds after the restart. Roberts would again be involved in the 63rd minute as his effort was parried into the path of Josh Greene, another substitute, whose simple finish was his first of the year.

Kyle Kotani • the spectator
    Kyle Kotani • the spectator

Midfielder #5 Austin Sweeney defends the ball as UMKC desperately tries to get on the scoreboard

“I’m happy that we are playing to our ability and trying to get better,” Fewing said. “I was very happy to see all the guys go on and Josh Greene did a fantastic job. He stays after practice, stays after games—and we can’t monitor that—but I know he’s doing extra and he’s kept his attitude right and he came in and helped control of the rest of the game.”

Facing Air Force on Sunday afternoon posed a different challenge for Seattle U, but another Roberts strike, on this occasion a wonderfully curled right footer, opened the match up on 50 minutes. After a relatively uneventful first half, the goal was a bright spot and a boost that good teams often receive, even when not playing their best. Roberts would cap off an exquisite weekend by feeding his strike partner Hamza Haddadi for Seattle U’s second tally in the 73rd minute. Haddadi’s 8th goal of the year saw off the falcons, while Roberts himself now sits on five strikes for the season.

The Redhawks will next head to Texas, with Houston Baptist on Oct. 9, and UT Rio Grande Valley on Oct. 11, set to be the next WAC opponents for Seattle U.

Chaucer may be reached at [email protected]