Letter From The Editor

Welcome back, Redhawks. It’s been a few.

For those of you who don’t know, we are The Spectator—Seattle University’s student-run campus newspaper since 1933.

As a journalist and Seattle U student, I cannot help but notice that readers are becoming more engaged, educated and aware about injustices felt on a cultural, social, political and institutional level every day. You, dear readers, are asking harder questions, demanding more nuanced reporting and engaging yourselves civically to the fullest extent—and I could not be more excited to tackle these issues with you.

Last year brought an abundance of both good and tragic stories. We followed international events such riots in Ferguson, MO, the continued rise of the Islamic State and the Charlie Hebdo massacre. All events compelling, complicated and that resonated with us for different reasons. We also brought you local and on-campus news such as proposed mergers of departments on campus, adjunct faculty protests and debates about rent control, which you can read more about on pg. 9.

More recently, we rejoiced over the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize gay marriage, watched the sometimes infuriating and sometimes entertaining 2016 election campaign  and mourned the aurora bridge crash that happened last week.

Continuing our efforts from last year, we pledge to focus on accuracy, thoroughness and fair coverage. And through the—unfortunately inevitable—tough times, we will try to provide clarity and won’t forget to continue sharing the good stories too.

Returning readers might notice some changes in the paper this year. On pg. 10 where there was previously Sudoku, will now be the location of a weekly comic related to Seattle U experiences. In the place of Campus Voice, previously on pg. 22 will be a community corner dedicated to sharing student-submitted photos and other creative content.

We have streamlined our processes, and throughout this year we will continue to educate and train ourselves to improve content. After all, our work and stories are tailored to you. We are a public forum that reflects the concerns and personalities of our school. This year especially we hope to lift up marginalized voices and do justice to you. So if you don’t feel represented, send your comments, suggestions and concerns to me at [email protected].

With the 2016 presidential elections, increased debates over Planned Parenthood, and inevitable changes to our school, we’re sure to have lots to report back to you.

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for updates and Twitter for live tweeting and event coverage.

In the meantime, turn to pg. 12 to discover the best bars and eateries on Capitol Hill so we can raise a collective glass to the informed opinion, more good news and a productive academic year.