Meet The New Crop of Redhawk Football Players

The Seattle University Men’s soccer team has added a plethora of intriguing recruits who are set to join the squad in August. After losing out of the WAC tournament to UC Santa Barbara in the fall, Head Coach Pete Fewing is adamant to regain a birth to the NCAA tournament that eluded his team last term.

Sergio Rivas

The attacking midfielder is a standout of freshman recruits, as a near graduate of Cibola High School in Albuquerque, Rivera was recognized as the New Mexico Gatorade Player of the Year this past season. “I think he can contribute right away,” Fewing said of Rivas, who can play a variety of positions, from striker to attacking midfielder, to even a wide center mid. Rivas played for Rush NM 98 where he won three consecutive state titles, as also competed for the Region IV Olympic Development team, comprised of the best youth players in the Western US.

Cody Buchanan

Buchanan comes from San Jose, California where he will graduate from Valley Christian High School. Fewing described Buchanan as a good engine who is good with both feet, and will slot into a central position as well for the Redhawks. Buchanan led his club team the San Jose Gunners to a 12th overall national ranking. A quick look online at his highlight video exemplifies his box-to-box nature and an outstanding work rate, which has potential to link the midfield and attack with deep lying runs from the middle of the park. On top of his high energy, Buchanan also has a knack for scoring free kicks.

Julio Rubio

Rubio hails from Goleta, California, where he plays for the Real So Cal Academy and the Santa Barbara Soccer Club. In the spring Rubio will graduate from Dos Pueblos High School. With Santa Barbara, Rubio won a US Youth Soccer National Championship in 2014. Along with Buchanan and Rivas, Rubio is another player who operates centrally as a midfielder.

Nathan Aune

A local player from Arlington, Washington, Aune is a towering 6’3” center back who is strong in the tackle and good in the air. Also a high school basketball player, Aune will use his athleticism to boost Seattle U’s danger from set pieces and will sure up the back line. Aune played for the Crossfire Academy and will graduate from Arlington High School.

David Olsen

After a standout freshman year at San Diego State University, the Sounders Academy prospect has transferred to Seattle U where he will hope to continue his fine goal scoring record. As a forward for the Aztecs last year, Olsen scored seven goals and was named All Pac-12 Honorable Mention.

Mumbi Kwesele

Another transfer who has joined Seattle U, Kwesele played his freshman year at Barry University in Miami Shores, Florida. At Barry, Kwesele featured in 19 games and scored two goals while adding three assists. Kwesele is another player that can slot in in a number of positions, from outside back to center mid.