Softball Drops Series To New Mexico State

The Seattle University softball team (12-28, 1-5 WAC) was unable to match New Mexico State University’s (NMSU) offensive firepower, dropping all three games of the weekend series.

In game one of the three game series, NMSU (28-11, 6-0 WAC) jumped out to an early lead with a two-run homerun by Tatum Reedy in the top half of the second inning.

Pitcher Mandie Sugita settled down after the third inning, retiring the next six batters she faced. The Redhawks answered with some offense of their own with a two run homerun by right fielder Molly Campbell.

Unfortunately, the late rally was not enough, and NMSU hit their second homerun of the day, a three run blast in the top half of the seventh for a final score of 7-2.

Day two featured a double header. New Mexico State again jumped out to an early lead, scoring eight runs in the first three innings, four of which came on a grand slam in the top of the second inning.

Pitcher Alyssa Reuble struggled with her command all day, allowing eight runs on four hits with six walks allowed on 2 and 1/3 innings pitched. Lindsay Davis finished the game for the Redhawks, pitching 2 and 2/3 innings, allowing four hits and two runs.

“New Mexico State had our number this weekend. I give credit to their approach at the plate and taking our pitchers off their game,” said Head Coach Dan Powers.

New Mexico State pitcher Dallas McBride shut down Seattle U’s hitters, allowing just one run on four hits, with four strikeouts and only
    one walk.

In game two of the double header, the Aggies picked up right where they left off, scoring three runs in the top of the first inning. Seattle U answered in the fourth when designated hitter Jenny Hurst was able to drive incatcher Bubba Morrow with a two out single to right field, giving Seattle U their only run of the game.

New Mexico State added a few more runs, and completed the sweep with a final score of 6-1 in game three of the series. “We still have work to do before seeing them again in the WAC tournament,” said Powers.