All You Need Is Love

My parents were married on Valentine’s Day more than 30 years ago. While that sounds sickeningly romantic, it was actually an arranged marriage that, instead of marking the holiday with joyous celebration, marked a day of sadness, anger and resentment felt between my parents, and consequently by me in years to follow.

It seems to me that Valentine’s Day has become a competition of extremes; you either show much you love the holiday, how much you resent the holiday or how indifferent you can seem about it. While I have always tried to be in the latter category, truth is, during my adolescent years, I had probably fit more in the resentment category­—given the historical turmoil it has caused my family. Whether this holiday reminds you of consumerism, how much you hate your ex, how much you love your current significant other, how single you are, or something as archaic as an arranged marriage, it is important to be as sensitive and thoughtful on this holiday as you would be on any other holiday. Recognize that care can be expressed in any number of ways to any number of people­—not just to your current boo.

As for me, I learned that being apathetic, or even feigning apathy, gets pretty boring after a while. In years prior, I have elected to turn my negative feelings about Valentine’s Day into making other people happy, whether that be by baking sweets or making personalized cards for friends.
    So, whatever your relationship status­—single, taken, confused, in a bromance or whatever­­—let’s make this holiday about spreading the love and practicing intentional care.
    ­­
    — Melissa Lin, News Editor