Two School Records set at UW

Taylor de Laveaga • The Spectator

The Seattle U record books gained some names over the weekend as the Redhawk track and field teams competed in the UW Invitational at the Dempsey Indoor Facility over the weekend.

Alisa Poplawski set a new women’s 800 meter school record with a 2:16.89. The previous mark was set by her training partner, senior Madison Davis, who finished the day with a 2:18.96. They finished 29th and 36th respectively.

Coach Chad Pharis check in between hammer throws with Junior Devon Walker.

On the men’s side, Gus Arroyo nearly set the new school record in the mile with a 4:15.39, which was good for 3rd in his heat and 30th overall. Louis Rodrigues came in at 4:19.63 and 42nd overall.

“To open my first mile of the season with a 4:15 and just a second off the school record makes me ecstatic for what’s to come,” Arroyo said. “There’s been a lot of hard work, and it’s paying off. As you put the miles in, and just put in what you can, the results are going to come.”

Perhaps Seattle U’s top highlight of the meet was Shaddye Melu, who ran a 48.28 in the men’s 400 meter dash, just off his own personal record of 48.25 and good for a second place finish. Austin Thummel-Gravitt and Jason Cowan finished 12th and 20th respectively in 49.84 and 50.48. Candace de Sauvage won her heat and came in 19th in the same race on the women’s side with a 58.84. Melu also tied for fourth in the high jump, reaching a 6-08.75. Thummel-Gravitt took 15th in the 200 meter dash at 22.80.

Taylor de Laveaga  •  The Spectator
    Taylor de Laveaga • The Spectator

Freshman Chay Weaver runs the 1200 meter leg of the distance medley relay Friday night.

Sophie Curatilo took 10th in the women’s 5000 meter with a 17:14.94, while Joe Charbonneau ran a 14:54.25 in the men’s event, which was good for 11th. That was a popular spot to finish, as both distance relay squads took the same position in their races.

In the weight throws, Malaki Seanoa II led Seattle U with a mark of 14.06 meters, which was good for 19th over all. He was followed by Devon Walker and Chris Scaffa who tossed a 12.57 and an 11.54.

For now, the focus of Redhawk athletes is to work every angle of training as they come down the home stretch of the indoor season.

“I threw a personal best and definitely felt like I was ready to break the school record,” Seanoa said. “We’ve got one more regular season meet in two weeks so every practice between now and then will be focused on improving both physically and mentally.”

The Redhawks will return to Dempsey on Friday the 13th for the Husky Invitational and their final regular season meet before the WAC indoor championships at the Air Force Academy two weeks later.

Connor may be reached at [email protected]