Vandalization, Theft at the Chapel of St. Ignatius

On Tuesday around 9 p.m., just an hour before the Chapel of St. Ignatius closed up for the night, two individuals entered Seattle University’s most cherished building. Theft and vandalization ensued, Public Safety told the Spectator.

The damage, according to Public Safety day-time supervisor Josh Halbert, was not insignificant, but the custodial crew had the Chapel up and running Wednesday morning.

Exact estimates about the damage are not yet available, but Halbert said that glass from broken vases were scattered on the floor; holy water had been splashed from its reservoir; a couple of footprints were found on some hand-made chairs; and pages from hymnals were ripped out or ruffled. The suspects may have also run along the pews and stood atop the piano. And items from Christmas nativity scenes situated at the Chapel’s entrance were stolen but then retrieved upon the suspects’ arrests.

Public Safety officers located the alleged perpetrators near the Administration building shortly following the incident. Both suspects are said to not be affiliated with Seattle U and are currently in custody by the Seattle Police Department.

Evan Britton, a junior theology and music major who is active in Campus Ministry, said that since the Chapel is an open space, vandalization is inevitably a potential consequence.

“I’m just grateful that it wasn’t as bad as it could have been,” he said.

Britton added that the incident was probably not serious enough to invoke significant concern over security.