Editorial: Hear Us Roar

I am pretty darn proud of my generation. Okay, maybe I have a few reservations, and there are areas that need improvement, but you know what? We’re making some noise.

Take a look at Garfield High School, for instance, which recently participated in the National Day of Protest to Stop Police Brutality, Repression, and the Criminalization of a Generation. I remember when they had protests at the high school for the MAP tests, and it’s inspiring that high schoolers are demanding their voices to be heard. Just a couple months ago, Emma Sulkowicz of Columbia University made the cover of New York Magazine, which spotlighted the issue sexual assault on college campuses.

But it’s not like we here at Seattle University need to look farther than our own grounds to find young activists fighting for rights and working for change. We have groups and supporters that opened up dialogue on issues such as divestment, gender inclusivity, and disability advocacy. Most recently, an all-male group called Wingmen started on campus, which makes men more aware of sexual assault and how to intervene. That’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Sometimes young people can get called out for being a lackluster lazy group that is self-absorbed. I think not. We are a group that is impassioned, progressive and bold enough to talk about important and sometimes heavy issues that demand conversation.

Bianca Sewake
    Managing Editor & Online Content Editor