Spectator’s Picks For Top Summer Sports

The rainy season has ended, and it is now time to take absolute advantage of the sunny months. For students who will be in Seattle for the summer, there are plenty of sporty activities to stay active yourself—or just watch other people be active. So go out there and explore what the city of Seattle has to offer.

MARINERS:
It isn’t summer without baseball season. The Mariners play in Safeco Field downtown, and when the weather is nice, the roof is open for a beautiful day of watching baseball. Over the summer, the Mariners will have a few key matchups that will be fun to watch as they continue to battle for a chance to play in the postseason when October rolls around. They will be playing a three game series against the Red Sox starting on June 25 in a battle against one of the top teams from the east coast. Starting on July 11, the Mariners will host a three game series against their division rivals, the Oakland Athletics, who currently lead the AL West. In August, they will play one of the top teams in the central division, the Chicago White Sox for four games starting on August 7. Later in the month, they will have a three game series against their rival Texas Rangers beginning on August 25. And before the school year begins, you can attend the last college night of the season on September 12th, where the Mariners will once again square off against the Athletics.

STORM:
The Seattle Storm is Seattle’s WNBA team and they play in Key Arena. The Storm has been a great franchise over the years, winning multiple championships for the city of Seattle, which, unfortunately, many people tend to forget when recalling sport championships in the city of Seattle. They will have home games all throughout the summer, including games on July 3 and 5 against Los Angeles and Chicago, respectively.

CAL ANDERSON:
Cal Anderson Park is a great place to go to get active this summer. They have multiple activities going on throughout the summer. From 11 a.m. to noon every Sunday during the summer, parkgoers can experience yoga in the park for no cost. Other events do not have a set schedule but will be continue through the summer. These events include Seattle Hoopers hula hooping, Brazilian martial arts and dancing, Ultimate Frisbee, Glitterati Costume Club, urban golf, cardboard tube fights, Coed Softball, Bocce Ball, spontaneous acrobatics and juggling, Frisbee golf, tai chi and more.

HIKES:
The city of Seattle has plenty of places to go on a nice hike through nature. Two great places to check out are the Washington Park Arboretum and Discovery Park. The Arboretum has a lot of trails that are easy and short for people who want to go on a simple stroll—a walk in the park if you will. One fun fact to take note of is that the park has over 40,000 plants growing in the area including many which are endangered.

Discovery Park is the largest park in the city of Seattle, spanning over 530 acres. The trails throughout the park total approximately 10 miles. Taking hikes through Discovery will allow you to overlook the Puget Sound as well as a few beaches. You can even walk on over to the Discovery Park Lighthouse.