Final School Days Full of Senior Send-Offs

nicole SCHLAEPPI • The Spectator

The senior festivities surrounding commencement are as much about celebrating the recent past as they are about casting a line into the future. Some of the events toast the accomplishments of Seattle University’s class of 2014, and others are quick to help them go out on their own and still stay connected in the years that come.

The celebrations began last Monday with the Senior Toast, put on by University Advancement. According to SGSU Senior Representative Dominic Ortiz, it’s a time to congratulate seniors on making it into the Commencement season. They gather to drink wine and be toasted by President Fr. Stephen Sundborg S.J.; oftentimes students bring a mentor who they feel has guided them through the university experience. Ortiz spoke at this event to encourage seniors to donate money as part of the senior gift, which contributes to various sources and scholarships around campus.

nicole SCHLAEPPI  •  The Spectator

Seniors have an exciting last few weeks ahead of them. With graduation just around the corner Seattle University is making sure that there are enough activities to ease their stress and anticipation.

The Senior BBQ is coming up next week, wherein the host, Career Services, will give their final efforts to share their resources with the seniors as they leave the university and seek assistance in their search for jobs or other outlets. Ortiz refers to it as a networking event.
    Sarah Thomson of Career Services said the focus is essentially on celebration, but one of the aspects of this event that makes it unique is that it also concerns the future. Career Services wants to help seniors find their next step, and continue to offer it to alumni post-graduation. From one to three years after a student’s graduation date, they can come back to utilize Career Services as much as they want—after three years, they can come up to three times a year. As the seniors move toward graduation, Career Services want them to know that they have a continued resource at Seattle U.

Also next week is the Seniors versus Faculty Kickball Game, hosted by University Recreation out on Logan Field. Additionally coming up is Red Night Out, which used to be the Student Recognition Awards. Students and faculty are recognized in a special celebration for
    their accomplishments.

Ortiz’s own project as the Senior Representative is Senior Soiree, a night for seniors to dress up
    and celebrate.

“Think of it as like college prom,” Ortiz said, adding that the budget was significantly lower than an actual prom. And then, of course, Commencement. Ortiz said Commencement is different from graduations in that they’re seemingly more formal. Seattle U’s seniors will graduate at Key Arena, and as a result of having such a big venue, anyone can come and the event is free. The student speaker will be Nichole Abbey, and several others will speak that night when the different colleges graduate their own seniors.

Ortiz estimated that the class of 2014 is one of the largest that Seattle U has ever graduated, around 1,000 students currently. He also said that he thinks of his class as very engaged in student activities such as SEAC, RHA, and SGSU.

“When I think of the class of 2014, we have definitely been very involved,” Ortiz said.

Ortiz said that the ample number of events provided for seniors is probably because of two reasons. First, it helps create a more stable alumni system, with students who might want to stay involved in some way past graduation. He referenced the graduates of the ‘80s and ‘90s, many of whom aren’t in touch with the school anymore.

“The happier we are going out, the more connected we’ll feel to the school after we leave,” Ortiz said.

The other reason for the senior activities was somewhat more sentimental.

“The person I was four years ago, I don’t even recognize that person,” Ortiz said. “And I feel like the reason why we do this every year is to just help celebrate the fact that we’ve been here, we’ve been here for the past four years, we’ve pretty much shaped who we are, who we want to be at this place; and I think the reason why there’s so many events is just to give thanks to us for being a part of this community and finding our way out of here…”

Seattle U’s seniors have a lot to look forward to in the upcoming weeks, and of course, the years to come.

“It’s been a good ride,” Ortiz said.