News Bites

IDOL’ STAR WINS AFTER CRISCO’S DEATH
Clay Aiken’s opponent in the Democratic primary for North Carolina’s Second Congressional District seat, Keith Crisco, died on Monday. This means that the American Idol alum, Clay Aiken, is not only running for a Congressional seat, but he now looks poised to win the primary.
The race was too close to call, with Aiken leading Crisco by just 369 votes at the time of Crisco’s passing. Crisco, a 71-year-old textile entrepreneur and former state commerce secretary, reportedly, “died at his home around 1:30 p.m.” according to the Associated Press. Looks like Clay Aiken will take the primary, and perhaps wind up taking a Congressional position for North Carolina.

NATIVE AMERICAN FISHING ADVOCATE DIES AT 83
In 1945, a young member of the Nisqually tribe in Washington State was arrested for the first time. The crime was fishing without a license, and would be the first of more than 50 such arrests in the long life of Billy Frank Jr., a man who would go on to be a figurehead in what would come to be known, according to the New York Times, as the “fish wars” of the 1960s and ‘70s. He died this week at the age of 83.

Frank received many awards for his years of dedicated service to the rights of Native Americans, including the Albert Schweitzer Prize for Humanitarianism in 1992.
Because of Frank and his successful campaign to reestablish fishing rights for Native Americans, fishing in the Northwest reformed and helped give momentum to assertions of Indian rights elsewhere. Originally seen as an outlaw within the fishing community, Frank is remembered today as a wise leader, who fought for rights guaranteed more than a century ago.

CLIMATE CHANGE BATTLES HEAT UP
In a recent ruling, the Supreme Court passed a proposal that would allow the Environmental Protection Agency to regulate smog emissions by coal fired power-plants. However the ruling did not pass without considerable dissent from Justice Scalia, who saw the proposition—which would tie the size of required smog reductions to cost—as “reflecting the Marxist concept of ‘from each according to his ability’.”

According to Paul Krugman, a noted economist, and professor of Economics and International Affairs at Princeton University, this sort of talk will become commonplace as discussion regarding the economics of battling climate change heat up. “The airwaves will be filled with conspiracy theories and wild claims about costs,” said Krugman. “Climate policy may finally be getting somewhere; let’s not let crazy climate economics get in the way.”

EASTERN UKRAINIAN INSURGENTS DECLARE INDEPENDENCE

While the situation that has developed in the Ukraine over the last several weeks has diffused somewhat, conditions are again becoming more complex. According to The Seattle Times, “pro-Moscow insurgents in eastern Ukraine declared independence Monday and sought to join Russia.”

In doing so, the newly independent insurgents complicated upcoming elections and strengthened the Kremlin’s hand in the country. Organizers estimated 89 percent of those who cast ballots on Sunday in Donetsk voted in favor of sovereignty; that is, they voted in favor of independence from the Ukraine. Still, the U.S. and other western powers have refused to recognize the results of the vote, given that none of the reported numbers can be proven accurate.

Instead, White House spokesperson Jay Carney said that the United States is focusing on making sure the Ukraine’s scheduled presidential election takes place May 25. The results of the vote could open doors for dialogue between the country’s divided regions, and give breathing room in a situation that has escalated to near Cold War levels in recent weeks.

EUROPEAN UNION FIGHTS FOR PRIVACY AGAINST ‘GOOGLING’
In a landmark case concerning the search-engine industry and its privacy policies, the European Union ruled Tuesday that people are entitled to some degree of control over what pops up when they are Googled.

According to The Seattle Times, “the Court of Justice of the European Union said Google must listen, and sometimes comply when individuals ask the search giant to remove links to newspaper articles or websites containing information about them.”

The ruling extends to all citizens, and search engines in Europe. It remains to be seen if the ruling will have an affect on the industry in America.

EXHIBIT OF MACKLEMORE’S COAT MORE THAN 99 CENTS
A new exhibit at Seattle’s EMP, entitled “Spectacle: The Music Video” is now on display. The exhibit originally opened in Cincinnati in 2012, and has since been as far as Australia before coming to Seattle.

At each venue the show adopts some “local flavor,” and in Seattle some never-before-seen ephemera from Macklemore and Ryan Lewis will be shown. Among the paraphernalia is the famous fur coat from the hit music video for “Thrift Shop.”

Curator Meg Wells told reporters that the exhibit has thus far “exceeded attendance expectations in all previous locations.” It will be on display through January of next year.

CITY KEEPS WHEELS IN MOTION TO SAVE METRO
Seattle Mayor Ed Murray proposed new taxes in the place of the failed Proposition 1 to save Seattle bus routes. The city tax is being pursued because election results show that a large majority within Seattle voted “yes” on the proposed initiative. Therefore, the new tax would be a version of Prop 1, but only for Seattle. The main difference being that the resulting funds—an estimated $45 million per year—would be allotted entirely for city transit.

City council members feel confident with the proposal because voters already have shown to be in support of the tax increase for the sake of Metro.

Council members also seem to favor a fee for vehicle-licensing rather than a raise in property tax, according to The Seattle Times.

“My No. 1 goal is to make sure we put something to the voters that can kind of close that gap on transit,” said councilmember Mike O’Brien in The Times.

SAME-SEX MARRIAGE OK’D IN IDAHO
Idaho’s ban on same-sex marriage was declared unconstitutional this week—gay and lesbian couples can get married starting Friday. The U.S. District Magistrate Judge Candy Dale decided the ruling saying that the law against same-sex marriage denied a fundamental right.

“The Plaintiffs are entitled to extraordinary remedies because of their extraordinary injuries,” Dale wrote in her ruling as reported by the Associated Press. The marriage ban was initially challenged in November when four Idaho couples filed a lawsuit against the governor and Ada County Clerk Chris Rich. Both couples were married in other states where same-sex marriage is legal, but now live in Idaho with their children. The plaintiffs have reportedly been treated as strangers to their children and grandchildren. The couple have to continuously apply for power of attorney in order to give consent for medical treatment for their children.

With the most recent ruling on the marriage ban, however, the couple has hope that such strict rules will be changed.