Seattle U Club Sports Experiences Success

If giving up 30 hours of an already busy week does not pique your interest, there are other athletic options to pursue. Aside from Seattle University’s Division I athletic teams, the school also has several club teams compete throughout the year. Here is a look at how the season has gone for some of those successful clubs:

WOMEN’S CLUB
LACROSSE

The women’s club lacrosse team just finished up a successful season, concluding with a 6-1 record and making it into the state playoffs. They managed to pull this off with a team where about half the roster was either completely new to lacrosse or had one year of experience. Last year, the team did not make it to the playoffs.

“When we started the season, we had one main goal which was to go to the playoffs and we made it,” said sophomore Melissa Holzhauser, the club’s vice president. “Our athletic level this year was different because we pushed way more. We wanted it and were fighting for each other with the thought of playoffs.”

One of the season’s highlights occurred over a weekend when the team went to Tacoma and had dominating victories over two teams that they played.

“In my nine years of playing lacrosse, I had never been on a team that came together as much as we did that day,” Holzhauser said.

“It’s fun to go to practice and do what you love with your friends,” Holzhauser said. “We are a club team but we are serious and also love to have fun.”

Although the season has come to an end, the team continues to have practice and is always looking for girls with or without experience to come try it out. Anyone interested in going to a practice or receiving more information can send an email to [email protected].

MEN’S CREW

The men’s rowing team is currently in the middle of their season. They recently had their sixth annual duel against Seattle Pacific University in the traditional Raptor Cup at the two school’s shared practice course. This past weekend, they had a duel against Western Washington University.

Earlier this month, the club took four of their boats down to Eugene, Oregon to compete. They raced with a double, a lightweight varsity four, a novice four and a novice eight. Both the double and the novice four managed to take first place.

“It was the novice’s first win which was really exciting,” said senior Jacobe Sell, the team’s captain and club president. “Wins really help with retention rates because it gives you that adrenaline and the feeling for why you practice.”

Another thing that helps improve retention is having a good coaching staff. The club got a new novice coach this season to be a support system for the freshmen and help them develop a passion for rowing.

“We are excited about the freshmen because we tend to be a small boat team,” Sell said. “As the freshman class gets better, we can be more competitive with bigger boats.”

At the end of the month, the club will be competing in the regional championship in Sacramento, California. The national championships will take place at the end of May in Georgia. Last season, the club took home the national title when their pair took first place. The team will be looking to repeat that success.

“We practice six times a week year round and definitely form a brotherhood,” Sell said. “We are working hard to hopefully get some hardware.”

MEN’S CLUB SOCCER

Last season was a rebuilding year for Seattle U’s men’s club soccer team. Despite being in that process, the team managed to take second place in the playoff tournament finishing behind Gonzaga University.

Right now the team is in the middle of their season and has had a pretty good share of success. They practice every Wednesday evening on Logan Field.

“We are figuring out our team and everything is falling into place,” said senior Tyler Tsubota, the club’s president. “Our season is getting better and we made the playoffs.”

Earlier this month, the team took a weekend trip to Spokane where they played games against Eastern Washington University and Gonzaga University. They defeated Eastern on the first game by a score of 2-1. The following day, they managed to pull out a 1-0 victory against Gonzaga, who had previously been undefeated in the league for at least the past four years.

The playoffs will begin on May 3rd.

“This year, we are looking to take the championship away from Gonzaga,” Tsubota said. “That means we need to beat them, which we just did.”