The Grace Space: How to Celebrate Sprannnng this Spring Quarter

Spring is in the air—literally, I am trying not to die from pollen at this very moment.

Regardless of allergy season returning to the forefront for most of us, it is also Spring Quarter, the final quarter for a great deal of you, and the last quarter before that lovely three-month break in the summer. We have survived (maybe—hopefully) the first week of spring quarter, and are only preparing for the upcoming 10 weeks until we can finally return to our parents’ homes for some much needed R&R with snacks and Netflix.

This quarter is always, in my opinion, the hardest, as there are literally so many things to do and enjoy that studying is typically pushed to the back burner. While I probably should not be tempting you to leave your textbooks behind and venture outside of the library, but that is exactly what I will be doing; check out the following list of popular and exciting spring events to become the true procrastinator you were meant to be! Enjoy!

APRIL

Skagit Valley Tulip Festival | month-long
    One of the primary events of spring, the festival hosts hundreds of thousands of people every spring to see the beautiful tulips bloom. There are 100s of acres of tulips scattered throughout the Skagit Valley, inviting people from around the country and around the world to enjoy in the festivities. Grab a friend with a car, some coffee, and head on over to see how amazing Mother Nature truly is.
    http://www.tulipfestival.org/site

Restaurant Week | April 6-10 and 13-17
    You know how hard it is to find cheap and good food in Seattle as a broke college student? Really hard. Luckily, Seattle Restaurant Week makes another appearance for two weeks this month, with more than 160 local restaurants offering three-course dinners for $28 per person, and many also offering three-course lunches for $15 per person. Local restaurants taking part include Barrio, Manhattan, and Skillet Diner. So, if you’re ready for some good grub without losing all of those dolla dolla bills, go crazy!
    http://seattletimes.com/seattlerestaurantweek/

National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) | April 24-27
    Ever wonder how young filmmakers get that boost into the industry? NFFTY is an answer; the non-profit was founded in 2007, and has grown to be the world’s largest youth film festival. The event focuses on showcasing the works of directors 22 and younger, and often includes work of the talented film students right here at Seattle University. The three-day festival costs $52 for a youth pass—not too shabby if you get the chance to see the next George Lucas or Stanley Kubrick.
    http://www.nffty.org/

MAY

Color Run 5K | May 11
    Running may be a form of torture for most of us, but running in a swirl of lovely colored powders actually sounds kind of fun! The Color Run 5K will be taking place this year, beginning at Seattle Center, and will have new liquid-color zones, along with dancing, a pre-race party with music and giveaways. Also new this year, every registered participant will receive an official race kit, which includes a t-shirt, tattoos and a ton more! Sign up today to make sure that you have the opportunity to be a sweaty rainbow monster.
    http://thecolorrun.com/seattle/

Seattle International Film Festival (SIFF) | May 15-June 8
    If you think NFFTY is a big film festival, you must not have heard of SIFF. SIFF is one of the most widely recognized and respected, as well as the largest, film festivals in North America, and has given an opportunity to so many talented directors to showcase their work. This year, the festival celebrates its 40th year, and is set to release their full line-up on May 1 for the 25-day festival. Some of the hits the festival has shown or premiered are Ridley Scott’s “Alien,” Terry Zwigoff’s “Ghost World,” and Joss Whedon’s “Much Ado About Nothing.” Grab a ticket while you can to see some soon-to-be classics and possibly meet some Hollywood folks!
    http://www.siff.net/festival-2014

Quadstock | May 17
    One of the best and biggest events on-campus, Quadstock is a must-see opportunity. Celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, the all-day music fest has yet to release its lineup (soon to be released on April 21), but past years have seen the likes of Macklemore, Youth Lagoon, and Blue Scholars. Plus, we all already know that Seattle U’s very own COHO will be performing, so why not head on over to the Quad and shake what your mama gave you? Tickets will go on sale soon after the lineup is announced, so don’t forget to grab a ticket to some great music, food and fun!

Sasquatch! | May 23-25
    Another popular music event for the area is Sasquatch! Music Festival, which takes place at the Gorge in George, Washington, during Memorial Day Weekend. While the event is a bit far from our campus, it is definitely worth the trek; make a caravan with some friends, stock up on tasty food, and camp out like you’ve never camped before! This year’s festival will only be three days long rather than four, but is set to feature some amazing acts, including The National, Outkast and Seattle’s own Mary Lambert. While tickets may be few and far between, check online to see what you can find; that $300 price tag may seem steep, but this is an event you do not want to miss, trust me!
    http://www.sasquatchfestival.com/

JUNE

Study for finals kids.
    Have a fantastic spring quarter everyone! And remember, stock up on some Claritin while you celebrate that gorgeous sunshine!