Scoring In More Ways Than One

This year’s homecoming game was a huge success.

Seattle University’s men’s basketball team put on an exciting and game that resulted in a 76 to 68 victory for the Redhawks over the Idaho Vandals.

Of course homecoming began with a Friday parade led by Father Sundborg who sported a lovely red wig as several alumni returned to campus to celebrate. The homecoming court was announced and later that night this year’s battle of the bands, Game of Tones, ensued.

All the festivities were leading up to the homecoming game against Idaho at Key Arena.

I have personally gone to quite a few basketball games in my time at Seattle University and I must say the fan support for our men’s basketball team has been lacking. The student section has never had more than a few rows filled up. However when it comes to homecoming, the arena actually gets a pretty solid turnout from students and alumni alike.

Before the game began, we got to hear from two seniors, D’Vonne Pickett Jr. and Clarence Trent, who would be playing their last games in Key Arena.

The game started off pretty slow with a lot of missed shots and turnovers. By halftime the Redhawks trailed by four.

Once the second half got rolling, Seattle University started to play some excellent basketball. Junior guard Isiah Umipig had a spectacular performance finishing the game with eight three-pointers and a total of 36 points. Pickett played very well in the second half making a handful of layups and finishing the game with 15 points.

The Redhawks never had a lead in the game until there were about 14 minutes left to go. It was a very exciting finish as each team traded baskets. But as the game got closer to the end, Seattle University began to pull away with an assured victory.

In the end, Seattle University won the game by eight points and the crowd got to celebrate. It was the biggest turnout the team had gotten all season and they put on a great show for their fans. The two seniors, Pickett and Trent, got to finish their careers in Key Arena with a win and will now look forward to finishing out the regular season and trying to make something happen in the WAC tournament later this month. And who knows, maybe they will have a shot at the NCAA tournament.

After the game, Trent proposed to his girlfriend on the court.

Congratulations to the happy couple and to the Redhawks!