The Grace Space: Music for March

As someone who loves music, I’m always checking calendars regarding when my favorite or up-and-coming bands are coming to the Seattle area. For all of you beautiful people who share that passion, I have complied a list of some of the acts coming to Seattle in the month of March, along with descriptions and the bands’ websites.

You no longer have to worry about looking around—let me do the research for you!

MARCH 2: THE COUP @ THE VERA PROJECT, 7:30 P.M.

Special guests: Chaotic Noise Marching Corps, Kev Choice | All ages | $13
    Although political songstresses Pussy Riot have gained a staggering amount of traction within the last few years, The Coup has been bringing their political anthems to the ears of millions since 1996. Led by the ever-amazing Boots Riley, The Coup released their last full-length EP in 2012, so head on over to The Vera Project this Sunday to listen to music with a message.
    Listen to: “Land of 7 Billion Dances” and “The Guillotine”

MARCH 3: B.B. KING @ THE MOORE, 7:30 P.M.

Special guests: Ayron Jones and The Way | All ages | $52.50-$82.50
    Please, do you really need a reason to go see one of the greatest guitarists and blues musicians of all time? Sure, the ticket price is a bit high, but that $52 will definitely be worth it to see the legendary B.B. King, a musician who has been active in the scene for 66 years.
    Listen to: “Sugar Mama” and “Rock Me Baby”

MARCH 5: DR. DOG @ THE NEPTUNE, 8 P.M.

Special Guest: Saint Rich | All ages | $25
    With influences such as The Beatles and The Beach Boys, there aren’t a lot of ways that Dr. Dog can go wrong—and since they’ve been performing since 1999, it appears that they feel that way as well. If you’re not all that enthralled with the music, get into their humor; each of the band members has a pretty eccentric nickname, ranging from Taxi to Thanks.
    Listen to: “The Truth”

MARCH 5: DALE EARNHARDT JR. JR. @ NEUMOS, 8 P.M.

Special guests: Chad Valley | 21+ | $15 advance
    Formed in late 2009, the pair (formed by Joshua Epstein and Daniel Zott) initially began as a basement-recording project in Royal Oak, Michigan; now, even Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is a fan. With favorable views from publications such as SPIN, Stereogum and Real Detroit, how can you not like the indie-pop band (especially since they definitely do not take themselves all that seriously)?
    Listen to: “If You Didn’t See Me (Then You Weren’t On the Dancefloor)”

MARCH 6: REAL ESTATE @ NEUMOS, 8 P.M.

Special guest: The Shilohs | 21+ | $20 advance
    Not to be confused with Sunny Day Real Estate, Real Estate hails from Ridgewood, New Jersey, and features members of previously acclaimed bands. Their self-titled debut album, released in 2009, received critical acclaim across the country, leading to touring stints with acts such as Kurt Vile and Girls. The band is set to release their third album, titled “Atlas” on March 4—and believe me, two days is plenty of time to get hooked.
    Listen to: “Talking Backwards”

MARCH 7: SXSW SEND-OFF @ NEUMOS, 8 P.M.

Featuring: THE FLAVR BLUE, Shaprece, James Apollo | 21+ | $5 advance
    To get excited for the upcoming South by Southwest (SXSW) festival is a bit of an understatement. Neumos will be blowing local enthusiasm out of the water with its SXSW Send-Off, featuring local Seattle acts that will be heading down to Austin in March. Time to start taking shots of whiskey!
    Listen to: “The Days”

MARCH 11: LAKE STREET DIVE @ THE NEPTUNE, 8 P.M.

Special guest: The Congress | All ages | $18 advance, $20 day of show
    An indie jazz and soul band from Boston, Lake Street Dive was formed in 2005 with students of the New England Conservatory of Music (so you can bet they’re all fantastic musicians). The group was recently featured on “The Colbert Report,” and has performed with T Bone Burnett; they are currently booked at over 30 venues for shows within the next two months.
    Listen to: “Bad Self Portraits”

MARCH 12: T-PAIN @ NEUMOS, 8 P.M.

Special guest: Surprisesssss! | All ages | $30 advance, $130 VIP
    Did you know T-Pain is only 28?! Damn, with hits like “I’m ‘n Luv (Wit a Stripper)” and “Booty Wurk (One Cheek at a Time),” I would have assumed that this gem in the rap and R&B world would be at least 30. Go check out his mastery at Neumos and see how exactly he has managed so great a critical acclaim in such an early period of his life.
    Listen to: His cameo in “I’m On A Boat”

MARCH 19: THE SOUNDS @ NEUMOS, 8 P.M.

Special guest: Blondfire | All ages | $20 advance
    Quite possibly one of my favorite bands during my high school years, The Sounds have been rocking out in their native Sweden since 1998, and shortly after shared their talents with the rest of the world. Having gained a fan-base which includes Dave Grohl, Pharrell, Quentin Tarantino and Britney Spears, it’s a bit odd as to why you don’t already know and love this group¬—hell, go and start with their debut album, “Living in America,” and work your way through to the day of the show. Trust me, it’ll be worth it.
    Listen to: “Weekend”

MARCH 22: DANIEL ROSSEN OF GRIZZLY BEAR @ NEUMOS, 8 P.M.

Special guest: William Tyler | 21+ | $17 advance
    Grizzly Bear is awesome, as is its guitarist/co-lead vocalist Daniel Rossen. Why the hell would you not go to this show? Even if you are under 21, at least wait outside Neumos and see this fantastic human being?
    Listen to: “Up On High”

MARCH 23: ZZ TOP @ THE MOORE, 7 P.M.

All ages | $55-$85
    It’s ZZ Top, the band you, your parents and quite possibly your grandparents have been rocking out to since 1969. I mean, have you heard them? Have you seen those luxurious beards? Did you know they are a part of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Yeah, go buy your ticket immediately.
    Listen to: “Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers”

MARCH 25: AGAINST ME! @ THE NEPTUNE, 8 P.M.

Special guests: Laura Stevenson, Cheap Girls | All ages | $18 advance, $20 day of show
    Begun in 1997, Against Me! has been bringing its punk rock sound around the country from their home base in Gainesville, Florida. With the recent introduction of lead singer Laura Jane Grace, the group released their sixth studio album, titled “Transgender Dysphoria Blues,” and is focusing on speaking with their audiences around the world about acceptance and appreciation for the Trans movement.
    Listen to: “The Trans Soul Rebel”

MARCH 26: ST. VINCENT @ THE MOORE, 7:30 P.M.

Special guest: Noveller | All ages | $25
    Annie Clark is a musical genius: with music stemming from 2003, work with Sufjan Stevens and a tour with David Byrne, Clark has a lot going for her. Plus, with the recent release of her fifth studio-album, titled “St. Vincent,” Clark isn’t stopping any time soon.
    Listen to: “Digital Witness”

MARCH 28: THE WAR ON DRUGS @ THE NEPTUNE, 9 P.M.

Special guest: White Laces | All ages | $18 advance, $20 day of show
    Formed in 2005 in Philadelphia, The War on Drugs has been working pretty hard since, with collaborations with Kurt Vile and The Capitol Years. The group’s third studio LP is set to release on March 18, so get pumped at Easy Street Records or Everyday Music before heading over to The Neptune to jam your socks off.
    Listen to: “Red Eyes”

MARCH 28: THE BLACK LIPS @ NEUMOS, 8 P.M.

Special guests: The Coathangers, Universe People | 21+ | $16 advance
    The Black Lips were probably one of my favorite “old-school” rock bands, following my love and adoration for Be Your Own Pet and its offspring. Formed in 1999, the band has continued through the past 15 years with that strong original sound; they were been featured on various medias, including The New York Times, SPIN and Rolling Stone.
    Listen to: “Go Out and Get It”

MARCH 29: LONDON GRAMMAR @ NEUMOS, 8 P.M.

Special guest: Vancouver Sleep Clinic | 21+ | $14 advance
    London Grammar, formed in 2012, is a British trip-hop trio (now try saying that ten times fast). Their debut album “If You Wait” was released only a few months ago, so go get hyped on what these Brits have to offer (and fawn over their accents, of course).
    Listen to: “Wasting My Young Years”