The Grace Space: How to Not Procrastinate for Midterms

This week is one of the many weeks we as students will not look forward to and even dread: it is the time for midterms. Now, midterms usually aren’t all that bad if you’ve been going to class and paying attention, but winter midterms are not like those in the fall or spring. Winter midterms are often terrible because the entirety of winter quarter is terrible. Just being honest.

Because this past weekend was one that almost all Seattleites celebrated without worry or care, since the Seahawks are the Super Bowl Champions, I have some tips and tricks for making sure that the rest of the week is productive. Good luck, dear children.

1. Sleep. Seriously.

Even if you think you can handle not sleeping for the rest of the week so that you can study at all times, you can’t—trust me. Try and get at least seven hours of sleep per night (what you should probably be getting per night anyway) and make sure to nap if you need it. Remember, no matter how delicious coffee tastes, it does not replace sleep—even though we’d all like to imagine that to be true.

2. Get off that website

You know what I’m talking about. Whether it be Humans of New York, Buzzfeed or simply looking at pictures of cats for what seems like minutes, but is actually hours, it will not help you do well on these midterms. While this is also a hard task for me to achieve, let’s all remember that the majority of these midterms count for a pretty good chunk of our final grades. So they’re important. So stop watching screaming goat videos on YouTube.

3. Eat to fill yourself up, not to snack

Food is probably my favorite thing in the world, other than coffee and “Gilmore Girls.” Yet, stress-eating during midterms will not help you; after you’re all finished, that unfortunate bloated feeling will make you a bit unhappy, and possibly lead you to more stress-eating. I do recommend eating during midterms, and making sure to eat all of your daily meals, and even eat a chocolate chip cookie; but don’t focus too much on the delicious treats at The Byte, as they are only a minute or less of happiness, unlike a good grade.

4. Plan a playlist

This means listening to Beethoven or nu-age jazz, not breaking out the Britney and having a dance party. That can wait until you get your grades back.

5. Don’t freak out too much

Midterms may be harder in some classes than in others, but that doesn’t mean you should pull out all of your hair over knowing or not knowing a few equations. Remember to breathe, relax, and then move on—it’s not worth losing yourself over it.