The Grace Space: 15 Reasons I Want to Go To Coachella

Although we are only in the first week of classes for winter quarter, it’s been a surprisingly rough week. Luckily, some news from the music-festival circuit gods came into being this Thursday to reveal one of the most anticipated lineups of the year.

Coachella 2014 will, as it has for the past 13 years, take place in Indio, California, and will host two weekends filled with joyous music on the weekend of April 11 and April 18. The festival is pretty notable for both emerging and reunited artists and groups, and this year is no exception.

Below, I have listed the bands I would be dying to see had I the money to actually pay for the ticket, plane trip, lodging, etc. But, as of right now, let’s just revel in the mastery of music; check these bands out for yourself and get in that late April lighthearted feel.

Haim | San Fernando Valley, California | 2006-present
    The three Haim sisters have recently gained a great deal of popularity based on songs such as “The Wire,” as well as their super-chill attitudes. They recently performed for the first time on Saturday Night Live, and proved that they perform live just as well (if not better) than their recorded work. Definitely worthy of a little booty shaking in the California sunshine.

Bastille | London, England | 2010-present
    The English rock band, initially a solo project of lead singer-songwriter Dan Smith, has gotten some major radio play in the past two years with their hit singles “Bad Blood” and “Pompeii.” Although I don’t know much about their live performances other than I want to see their awesomeness in person, I bet the group that has performed at festivals such as Glastonbury and Reading and Leeds know how to get their audience enthused, regardless of the weather.

Anthony Green | Doylestown, Pennsylvania | 1997-present
    I first found out about Green via some of his most popular projects: Saosin, The Sound of Animals Fighting, and, of course, Circa Survive. I fell in love with his voice with Circa Survive songs such as “Act Appalled” and “In Fear and Faith,” but became even more ecstatic when I found his solo work, such as “Dear Child.” If you’re interested in viewing someone who not only knows what they’re doing, but love what they’re doing, head over to Green’s set and fall in love with the power of music.

Lorde | Devonport, New Zealand | 2012-present
    Probably the newest artist of those listed here, the 17-year-old has had her share of success within the past two years. With her first single, “Royals,” Lorde has become pretty much a household name around the world; she soon gained more recognition with songs such as “Tennis Court” and “Team.” Based on the video I’ve seen of her U.S. television debut on Jimmy Fallon, I’m sure that Lorde would be super entertaining to watch–and of course, hear–live.

Sleigh Bells | Brooklyn, New York | 2008-present
    It’s hard to believe that Derek E. Miller and Alexis Krauss only started the genius that is Sleigh Bells (now) six years ago. The group’s first single, “Tell ‘Em,” was released in 2010 to great acclaim, and their debut album “Treats” lead to performances at Coachella, Primavera and Pitchfork. Their most recent release, “Bitter Rivals,” further proves just how great the pair is–and that there is no reason you should not be at their set.

Cage the Elephant | Bowling Green, Kentucky | 2006-present
    Cage the Elephant have been a pretty common and respected name in the music scene since their first self-titled album led to success with singles such as “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked” and “Back Against the Wall.” I was lucky enough to see the group at 105.3’s BFD festival in Mountain View after my senior year of high school, and, while we were pretty far from the stage, the group’s energy radiated throughout the festival’s attendance, and is proof enough that seeing this group should be on your bucket list.

Arcade Fire | Montreal, Canada | 2001-present
    If you don’t love Arcade Fire, you might as well not read this section. The huge indie-rock group was the reason I went to Outside Lands in 2011, and their performance definitely made my heart flutter with love. With songs such as “Wake Up,” “Sprawl II,” and “My Body Is A Cage,” you will be both relaxing and freaking out to the almost heavenly sounds–definitely great for a hot day in Indio.

Beck | Los Angeles, California | 1988-present
    Probably the most advanced member of this list based on the years he has been active in the scene, Beck Hansen makes sure to bring his all to his work. With hits such as “Loser” and “Where It’s At,” we can tell that Beck has made hits that will be hits for years, if not the rest of time (no, I’m not being excessive). If you haven’t already seen him–and even if you have–get the hell over to his set to fully appreciate how fantastic the multi-instrumentalist singer-songwriter is.

Lana Del Rey | New York City, New York | 2005-present
    The artist legally known as Lizzy Grant first become known within the music community–and across the world–by means of her self-directed and produced music videos posted on YouTube, such as “Video Games” and “Blue Jeans.” While she had a bit of a, uh, incident on Saturday Night Live that caused her to become more of a joke than anything, I think Lana has fully bounced back, with awesome (and possibly, even better) singles, such as “Summertime Sadness” and “Young and Beautiful.” She probably has been working super hard on her live performances, so go check out if she really has that amazing voice and report back.

The 1975 | Manchester, England | 2002-present
    The four-piece alternative/indie rock band has now been around for about 12 years, but it is most likely their most recent work that has garnered them success around the world. I personally love their songs “Chocolate” and “Girls,” and I wish that I could see them at the awesome festival. However, for those of you like me who won’t be able to get down to Indio, this group will be at Showbox at the Market on April 24, so get excited regardless!

Girl Talk | Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | 2001-present
    Greg Gillis, the man behind Girl Talk, is quite possibly one of the most unique people on this list (which is a lot to say): it was not until after graduating from Case Western with a B.S. in biomedical engineering that Gillis decided to focus solely on the craft that so many of us enjoy. If you’ve ever seen Gillis live, you know that you, as an audience member, have the opportunity to get up on stage and dance around with the mastermind himself to songs like “Let It Out” and “All Eyes on Me.” For sure worth going over and dancing it out with a bunch of other stoked music-lovers.

Kate Nash | Harrow, England | 2006-present
    The adorable English singer-songwriter began her career after having fallen down the stairs and breaking her foot, leaving her homebound. Since the initial unfortunate circumstance, Nash has released awesome works such as “Foundations,” “Merry Happy,” and “3AM.” Just from her quirky personality and awesome talent, I would definitely head over to see her do her thang as I jumped and hopped around.

Disclosure | Reigate, England | 2010-present
    One of the newest bands on the list has proved how talented they are, especially for a pair of brothers who are currently 22 and 19. With their debut album “Settle” only released this past summer, the electronic music duo isn’t slowing down any time soon, and it would be imperative to go see them perform at least “White Noise” and “Help Me Lose My Mind.” Seriously, just go and go crazy.

Little Dragon | Gothenburg, Sweden | 1996-present
    Little Dragon is one of those awesome bands you find at a festival, which is exactly how I know about them. While at Sasquatch 2012, one of my friends told me to come check out their set, and it was probably one of the best sets I saw, including those that I came to the festival for in the first place. Check out some songs in preparation, such as “Little Man” and “Infinite Love,” and then get excited for their awesomeness.

AND, OF COURSE

Outkast | Atlanta, Georgia| 1992-2007, 2014-present
    When I first saw online that there was a possibility of the hip-hop duo of Andre 3000 and Big Boi coming back to the scene with a huge comeback tour and comeback performance at Coachella, I freaked the f*** out. Honestly, I don’t know how I first came across Outkast, but I have loved the cluster since my childhood, listening to songs like “Hey Ya!,” “B.O.B.,” and “Morris Brown.” Outkast is for sure one of those bands you are bound to love, no matter your personal tastes; these two did not have a 15-year run without knowing what the public wanted. I am so insanely jealous of all the people who will be at the group’s comeback set in Indio, but I cannot wait until they surprise us once more with a tour (fingers crossed as tightly as possible).