The Guidance Counselor: On Cheating, Senioritis and the Healing Power of Joy Division

Q:

This past weekend I cheated on my girlfriend. We are doing long distance. She’s a year younger than me and still in high school. She is planning on applying to Seattle U to be with me. I still want to be with her, but don’t know how to tell her…

A:

Well dude, you screwed up and you are going to have to own it. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. You absolutely need to tell her, preferably in person, but if that is out of the question do it sooner rather than later. The longer you wait, the worse it will hurt and more of an a**hole you will become (you very well may not be an a**hole, but you did a pretty a**hole thing). You also need to let her know so she can make sure she has other options than Seattle U–you at the very least owe her that. I will say the notion that she is applying here to be with you is already a bad sign because you’re assuming that she is putting all her stock and her future into only your high school romance. This, along with your cheating, shows that you feel some weird entitlement–maybe this experience could humble you a little. She very well may be applying because she wants to go here and she could just see you as just a bonus. In terms of continuing the relationship, it is absolutely, totally up to her. You broke the trust. I don’t know your situation though–she could very well be doing the same thing to you—but regardless you can never win when you play shady. Tell the truth, recognize that you screwed up and try your best to learn from it.

Q:

I’m sick of school. I have two quarters left. How do I stay motivated?

A:

Grind your teeth, punch a pillow and do your work. The bigger picture shows that these next few months will be hell, but after that you probably won’t ever look back and regret it. You will walk away with a degree and not everyone has that opportunity. Being in school is a privilege, y’ all. As soul crushing as it may be to get over your senioritis, I have a feeling that the as life goes on, you will look back on this time in your life and wish this was your biggest problem. Don’t believe me? Come talk to me when you have to start paying back your loans and the job market hasn’t gotten any better. Just savor this–try and enjoy it. This is what you have been working toward for so long. It’s time for you to get it done!

The fact that it gets dark so early is really bumming me out. How do I fight the sadness in these dark winter months?

Dance to Joy Division.
    Find a cuddle buddy.
    Eat your weight holiday food.
    At least try and go to the gym.
    Wear clothes that make you feel cozy, but embrace your badass side. (All black never hurts).
    Christmas lights.
    Weekend trips, even to Ballard.
    Tea and coffee.
    X-Files.
    Oh, and leave your dorm room.

Keep it Classy,
    TGC