Safe Drinking, Smart Thinking

A Christmas tradition found its way into Halloween this year, with informational water bottles taking the place of delivered presents.

We, The Spectator editorial board, happen to enjoy safe and informed drinking practices almost as much as Christmas and, with that in mind, we would like to thank the responsible party involved in the water bottle deliveries.

Though plastic water bottles were used—ironic in that Seattle University has a ban on selling such an environmental hazard—the gesture was a smart and innovative way to approach the topic of student drinking. The water bottles delivered to the door—complete with a blood-alcohol level per drink chart—were a friendly and non-confrontational reminder that perhaps six drinks in a 100-pound girl might not result in the best Halloween.

The label’s initial phrase, something along the lines of, “if you get thirsty on Thursday…” not only wittily incorporated the quintessential collegiate holiday “thirsty Thursday” to add humor to the message, but also in no way insinuated that all students would in fact be consuming alcohol on that night. For some students, the water bottle might merely have provided a much needed hydration break from Halloween studying. For others intending to pursue more colorful festivities that night, it at least gently nudged them toward considering how they could avoid completely, as opposed to partially, blurred vision and still have a good time.

Instead of posting conspicuous signs around campus splattered with blanket statements about students ruining their lives with substance abuse, these plastic bottles were a non-intrusive and refreshing way to keep Seattle U’s students safe and knowledgeable about drinking. We greatly appreciate the school’s ability to be realistic and proactive regarding this issue.