The Grace Space: Miscellaneous Music to Get You Through Everything

Obviously, I love music.

I listen to it in the morning at the gym, while I’m getting ready for class, while I’m studying in the library–you get the idea. It’s a pretty awesome distraction when you have to muster through 70 pages of reading for your next class or when you’re just trying to relax after a long day of writing essays and crying.

Now, I listen to a lot of music—trust me, it’s like an itch I can’t scratch—but there are a few songs (okay, probably about 25) that I’ve been obsessed with recently. They are not all new, but goodness, are they good.

In case you would like to be hooked as well, check out the list below and see if you find anything that fits your fancy.

Enjoy!

“Werkin’ Girls” Angel Haze

While this song was released in 2012, it still comes through as fantastic and fresh today. The music video is a bit odd, sure, but the beat is pretty awesome. If you are looking for awesome rap by someone who grew up in a world of secular music, definitely check this out—and don’t let her feud with Azealia Banks influence your opinion of this super talented artist.

“Pompeii” Bastille

Okay, so this is a pretty rad song. You’ve probably heard it if you’ve opened up our computer or been outside your house within the last five to six months. Bastille is pretty freaking talented—and they’re English. How could you not like them? Although I’m not a huge fan of the music video for the song, I still love it nonetheless. Check them out if you’re into bands with serious talent (hell, their lead singer Dan Smith wrote songs with Empire of the Sun’s Nick Littlemore, so obviously there’s talent here.)

“The Wire” HAIM

HAIM is three sisters from Los Angeles who basically kick ass and take names. No, seriously, they’re pretty rad. And, the video for “The Wire” features Jorma Taccone of SNL’s “Lonely Island” group ugly crying—you are going to want to see it. After listening to this song, check out other songs off their debut studio LP, released on Sept. 27, like “Forever” and “Falling.”

“Dreaming” Smallpools

This song is basically what I would expect to hear while eating skittles and playing video games. It’s so freaking upbeat, you’re going to want to get up and dance, regardless of where you are—trust me, it can be pretty spectacular. Again, not the most fantastic video, but Smallpools is just breaking out in the open—hopefully it will get better from here.

“Freaks And Geeks” Childish Gambino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPxoVQiIGo
    Oh my goodness. If you haven’t heard this song yet, drop everything you’re doing and go check it out RIGHT NOW. Donald Glover, known as Troy from “Community” and a former writer for “30 Rock,” goes into beast mode as Childish Gambino—and thank the lord he does. His first studio album, “Camp,” is probably one of my favorites, and while “Freaks and Geeks” was not released on the album, it is fantastic. The video may be simple, but Glover definitely delivers a force you wouldn’t typically expect from a NYU graduate with a degree in Dramatic Writing.

“Summertime Sadness” Lana Del Rey

Okay, okay, hear me out. Although Lana became somewhat of a joke after her 2012 SNL appearance, she has massive talent, and has definitely been working to tweak that talent within the last year. You have most likely heard the remix of the song on the radio, I really enjoy the rawness of the original, as well as the look and feel of the video. Trust me, if you liked her sound and feel when she initially popped up on the internet only a few years ago, you will love both this song and its accompanying video.

“Pilediver Waltz” Alex Turner

The Arctic Monkeys are, without a doubt, one of my favorite bands. What could be better than having Alex Turner sing a serenade that was featured in a great English film, “Submarine?” The answer: nothing. While the song doesn’t have an accompanying video, it’s so beautiful to listen to and imagine what Turner describes in the lyrics—it’s definitely more of a study, but still fantastic song and is strongly recommended on my end.

Hopefully you’ve all found at least one song to fall in love with.

Tell me your current favorite songs in a comment!