Muggles Love Brooms

Just to be frank, we are pretty thrilled about the addition of Quidditch to the intramural sports list for a number of reasons. If you’re a ‘90s kid, it’s a safe bet that re-enacting scenes from the “Harry Potter” series was one of your favorite pastimes as a child. We had a plethora of imaginary activities and pop culture references to choose from, but ultimately Harry always stole our hearts. We would dress up and act out scene after scene, hopelessly longing to escape our seemingly dull lives and enter that of the wizarding world. This escape is precisely what Seattle U is now offering its student body.

Although one might argue that college students running around attempting to keep a broom in between their knees might slightly suck some of the magic out of J.K. Rowling’s world, we believe that the creative outlet the sport offers to students is a catalyst for greater fun in their lives. Students can take what they grew up reading and put all that nostalgia into the hearts of colleges around America. A student from the original Quidditch hot spot, Middlebury College, explains that the creation of the game comes from the fact that we are essentially the first group of college students to have waited at countless midnight premieres for the novels. Naturally, Quidditch ensued.

The sport also gives students the opportunity to opt out of the sports they have probably been playing their whole lives and just have some merry muggle fun. Kids who have played YMCA and high school soccer can embrace a unique skill with a fun, quirky twist.

As we anxiously await the release of the new alleged Rowling and Warner Brothers movie, we can throw on some maroon scarves and enjoy fall with a hint of Potter fan folly.