The Grace Space: Music for October

As someone who loves music, I’m always checking calendars regarding when my favorite or up-and-coming bands are coming to the Seattle area. For all of you beautiful people who share that passion, I have complied a list of some of the acts coming to Seattle in the month of October, along with descriptions and the bands’ websites so look no further! You no longer have to worry about looking around—let me do the research for you!

OCT. 2: PET SHOP BOYS @ The Paramount, 8 p.m.
    English electronic pop duo Pet Shop Boys have been perfecting their craft since 1981—AKA more years than Skrillex or whatever other electronic pop acts you’ve been listening to. Go check out Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe prove that electronic music is not actually new, but still awesome.
    www.petshopboys.co/uk

OCT. 3: DARK STAR ORCHESTRA @ Showbox at the Market, 9 p.m.
    DS O is awesome in the fact that they are a Grateful Dead tribute band; they use original set lists and varied musical instruments to demonstrate the various eras of the Grateful Dead’s own shows. Their Winter Tour should be truly magical, so give them a listen!
    www.darkstarorchestra.net

OCT. 5 & 6: GARY CLARK JR. @ The Neptune, 8 p.m.
    Described by many as the “new Jimi Hendrix” and “the future of Texas blues”, Gary Clark Jr. is simply a wonder to see. He’s been touring pretty much non-stop on the festival circuit for the last few years, so make sure to head over to The Neptune for a much more intimate show for either of his two shows.
    www.garyclarkjr.com

OCT. 6: FATHER JOHN MISTY @ The Moore, 7 p.m.
    A former member of Saxon Shore and Fleet Foxes, Joshua Tillman has become increasingly popular in the last few years under his stage moniker Father John Misty. If you haven’t heard of him as of yet, I would strongly recommend listening to “Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings” and then get your butt on over to The Moore on Oct. 6.
    www.fatherjohnmisty.net

OCT. 12: SLEIGH BELLS @ Showbox at the Market, 9 p.m.
    Although the band is described as playing “noise pop”, guitarist Derek Miller is a former member of a hardcore band, while vocalist Alexis Krauss is a former member of a teen pop group. Together, they make sure pretty fantastic songs; hell, their third LP, “Bitter Rivals,” is set to be released on Oct. 8, just in time for the show.
    www.bitterrivals.us

OCT. 12: THE GRIZZLED MIGHTY @ Tractor Tavern, 9 p.m.
    Seattle local The Grizzled Mighty has been getting a lot of attention recently, with performances at Capitol Hill Block Party, Doe Bay Festival and Bumbershoot all this past summer. Even if you’ve already seen them, why pass up on another opportunity?
    Thegrizzledmighty.bandcamp.com

OCT. 14: THEE OH SEES @ The Crocodile, 8 p.m.
    Active since 1997, Thee Oh Sees aren’t stopping yet. The band released their 12th album, “Floating Coffin”, this past April, and has been performing at major festivals around the country, including the Hopscotch Festival this past September in their hometown of San Francisco.
    www.theeohsees.com

OCT. 15: PARAMORE @ Key Arena, 7:30 p.m.
    Alright, so I want to make sure everyone sees their musical preferences here, but my main reason for putting Paramore on this calendar is because of Metric supporting them on this tour. Even if you aren’t interested in seeing the headliners, it would definitely be worth it to pay $30 to see Metric at Key Arena instead of waiting for their next festival slot.
    www.paramore.net, ilovemetric.com

OCT. 17: PHANTOGRAM @ Showbox at the Market, 8 p.m.
    Former headliner of Seattle U’s very own Quadstock, Phantogram is a pretty awesome band. If you haven’t seen them live, but love their music, I would strongly suggest going (although they might be more mellow than you anticipated).
    phantogrammusic.virb.com

OCT. 18: THE AVETT BROTHERS @ Key Arena, 7:30 p.m.
    Combining a bunch of different genres of music, from bluegrass to punk, The Avett Brothers can probably satisfy any individual’s specific musical tastes. Their upcoming album, “Magpie and the Dandelion,” will be released on Oct. 15, so make sure to listen to it before the show.
    www.theavettbrothers.com

OCT. 19: KANYE WEST @ Key Arena, 8 p.m.
    If you know me, you know how much I love Yeezus. Seriously, what a fantastic comedian and lyricist: “I just talked to Jesus/ He said ‘What up Yeezus?’” Kanye’s Yeezus tour will kick off in Seattle, so make sure to see him perform his recent album most likely in its entirety at Key Arena.
    www.kanyewest.com

OCT. 19: WAVVES @ The Neptune, 8 p.m.
    If you’re more into the hipster stoner vibe than the Yeezus vibe, Wavves is an act that should definitely be on your roster. I recently saw them at Outside Lands, and, while I prefer Nathan’s girlfriend’s band to his own, it was still a pretty awesome experience.
    wavves.net

OCT. 21: THE NAKED AND FAMOUS @ Showbox Sodo, 8 p.m.
    The New Zealand band is probably most well-known for its 2010 hit “Young Blood” but their most recent album should definitely not be dismissed. Check out their most recent single “Hearts Like Ours” before the show.
    Thenakedandfamous.com

OCT. 22: DEER TICK @ Neumo’s, 8 p.m.
    Who knew alt-country could be so addicting? Active from 2004, Deer Tick definitely knows their stuff—get ready to have your mind blown from their awesomeness.
    deertickmusic.com

OCT. 23: EMPIRE OF THE SUN @ The Paramount, 7:30 p.m.
    If you love “Walking On A Dream,” good luck passing up the opportunity to see this Australian electronic duo. The band, scheduled to score “Dumb and Dumber To,” recently released its second full-length to acclaim from around the world; join in when you head over to The Paramount for this special performance.
    empireofthesun.com

OCT. 23: WALK THE MOON @ Showbox Sodo, 8 p.m.
    Described as having “swirly pop beats [and] infectious guitar riffs” by Nylon magazine, Walk the Moon has been receiving a ton of acclaim for their music since they began in 2008. If you’re curious as to why, just listen to “Anna Sun” and try not to dance.
    walkthemoonband.com

OCT. 26: TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB @ The Neptune, 9 p.m.
    Another one of my favorites, Two Door Cinema Club is a band you for sure will not want to miss. Although they’ve only been around since 2007, the band is popular around the world with its two full-length albums, and, with songs like “I Can Talk” and “Sleep Alone,” it’s hard not to join in on the fun.
    twodoorcinemaclub.com

OCT. 26: THE 1975 @ Neumo’s, 8 p.m.
    The Manchester-based band have more recently come to the forefront of the music scene in America through their performances at various festivals, and their association with another English band, Bastille. Their singular LP, “The 1975,” was just recently released this year, and scored 28 out of 200 on the Billboard 200.
    the1975.com

OCT. 30: JANELLE MONAE @ Showbox Sodo, 9 p.m.
    Powerhouse Janelle Monae first began her career through her relationship with Outkast’s Big Boi back in 2003; as of now, she has garnered six Grammy nominations and released three LPs to tons of critical acclaim. Check out her most recent single, “Q.U.E.E.N” for some lady power from both Monae and featured artist, Erykah Badu.
    www.jmonae.com

OCT. 30: EARL SWEATSHIRT @ The Neptune, 9 p.m.
    One of the many members of OFWGKTA, Earl Sweatshirt has become a household name for many since he released his debut mixtape, “Earl,” in 2010. Because he recently released his debut studio album “Doris,” get excited to hear songs such as “Chum” and “Hive,” as well as see some crazy stage antics.
    www.earlsweatshirt.com

OCT. 31: HOODIE ALLEN @ Showbox Sodo, 7:30 p.m.
    If Macklemore isn’t tickling your fancies anymore, look no further than Hoodie Allen, another independent hip-hop artist and rapper. Although most of his songs aren’t incredibly deep, his work is often upbeat and dancey; listen to “Cake Boy” for further proof.
    www.hoodieallen.com