The Grace Space: Survive the upcoming school year

As you grow up, you realize how different you are from pretty much everyone else. Yet, when you first get to college, that realization is not yet realized mainly because you don’t want to be different—you want to fit in.

As I enter into my junior year here at Seattle University, I am so grateful that I have matured since my freshman year. However, it’s a little bit horrifying to see some younger, older or even students my age act as I did two years ago.

Because of the fact that maturity levels vary between individuals, it’s difficult to determine who needs to implement the following ideals/suggestions into their life at Seattle U. However, I hope each and every one of you who reads this finds at least one thing that they can choose to follow in the upcoming year to not only have a good school year for yourself, but to also make a good environment for your fellow students.

So here we go!

1) Don’t get too comfortable.
    If you’re a freshman, there’s about a 99.9 percent chance that you are living with another person, or even two (I’m so sorry to all of you in efficiency triples). You may have never shared a room before, but, please realize that hanging out in your room naked all day is probably not going to happen…ever. Be considerate toward your roommate(s) and realize that this is one of your first teamwork experiences–and it doesn’t end in a week.

Second–and this is too the entire student body– realize that even though you may want to get comfortable in classes, such as putting your feet up on a desk, DON’T. It is incredibly inconsiderate to the other students and especially your professors, and it makes me wonder what exactly you’re spending the majority of your time doing here, when it doesn’t seem you’re learning much of anything.

2) Do realize that you’re here to study.
    As I said above, you’re here to learn–regardless of how much you want to take a nap or play Grand Theft Auto. I didn’t take too much initiative my freshmen year in terms of studying, but believe me, studying and learning are awesome and well worth your time. There are so many interesting things to learn in college, and, especially through your majors, you are able to learn more about what you love–so hit the books!

And remember: Even if you are a freshman or a senior, you should still study–because you should always be learning.

3) Don’t hide alone for the rest of the year.
    If you are in a room without a roommate or have come to Seattle U without any friends (either as a freshman or a transfer student), that is not a reason to hang out by yourself for the rest of the year. Sure, meeting people is sometimes hard and weird, almost like watching a dog eat peanut butter, but there are some amazing people out there! You may not stay friends with everyone you meet in the first two weeks of Fall Quarter, but keep trying–I can honestly say I’ve met some of my greatest friends at this school, and could not imagine being here without them.

4) Do utilize the amazing city around you and explore!
    Seattle is a pretty sweet place, yes, even when it’s raining. Don’t try to stay on campus and go to all the SEAC events and eat solely in C Street and the Bistro. Just because you have a meal plan doesn’t mean you have to eat/stay on campus all the time. Go be a tourist in the city! There’s the EMP, Pike Place Market, Seattle Art Museum, Caffe Vita, Annapurna… Seriously, just go out and walk, and you will find some amazing parts of the city.

5) Don’t be a total jerk.
    Sure, the Seattle Freeze is something the majority of us have added to our own personalities, but that doesn’t mean you have the right to be an ass**** all the time. Everyone: Do not sass, belittle or completely ignore other individuals–you might be missing out on some truly great relationships/friendships. Plus, if you’re a total jerk to one person, it’s pretty likely you’re going to see them on campus at some point in the next few years.

6) Do go out and have new experiences.
    Let’s be honest: You don’t need to study all the time. Like I said, go out and explore! College is an amazing time to grow, so utilize the experience.

Hopefully those ideals will help you all to make the most of this college experience you either just entered or may soon finish. You know how people say college is the best time of your life? Yeah, enjoy those pre-paid meal plans and the ability to study what you want while you can.