Awards Help, but Can Intimidate Students

College is expensive.

There is no denying that attending a four-year university is a huge investment that requires many different ways of scraping by to meet that extreme cost. Thankfully, Seattle University offers a range of scholarships. The scholarship system almost guarantees at least a small portion of tuition relief, even if it is a minor fraction.

Scholarships fall into two categories; merit- and need-based awards. From these, the merit-based awards break apart into two further categories, those for international students, and those for U.S. students.
    Angela Frangi, the dean of undergraduate admissions, describes the process for receiving such scholarships.

“We look at a student’s academic trend, the rigor of their high school, their course selections, etc.,” she said. “As you can see we look at many factors when reviewing applications and students who are offered admission are considered for one of our many academic scholarships based on their academic credentials, including GPA and standardized test scores.”

After an applicant is granted admission to the university based upon their character’s complimentary nature to Seattle U’s mission, their GPA and test scores are evaluated to determine what merit award they will receive.

The awards in place for U.S. applicants range from $7,000 to $18,000. Comparably, neighboring school Seattle Pacific University falls into that same range, whereas Gonzaga University peaks at $15,000 per year.

Brian Moran is already a well-established freshman on campus, as well a recipient of one of the higher merit-based awards. Brian applied to Seattle U with many extra-curricular activities under his belt such as track and field captain, National Honors Society, DECA (a marketing competition), Future Business Leaders of America, and Key Club.

He continues to keep his schedule here at Seattle U as the vice president of performance for Alpha Kappa Psi, an Albers Undergrad Leadership Program member, a Phi Beta Lambda competitor, and was recently named an Orientation Advisor for 2013.

When Moran was asked about his experience at Seattle U, he reiterated multiple times his belief in
    campus involvement.

“I’m grateful for the money and am concerned with my personal growth,” he said.
    However, there is a small number of students on campus with even more reason to be grateful to Seattle U.
    The Sullivan Leadership Award is a full tuition, four year, room and board inclusive scholarship granted to nine incoming freshman based upon their values in correspondence to the values championed by Reverend William J. Sullivan.

The Sullivan process is highly extensive and selective. The award has been given since 1988, seeking students who embody the values of academic excellence, service and leadership, community and spirituality.

“Sullivan leaders are committed to these values. In the Jesuit tradition, Seattle U define excellence beyond test scores and grades,” said a scholarship description.

The Sullivan’s web page makes it apparent that being a well-rounded leader depends on more than just the GPA and standardized test scores that serve as the rubric for the merit-based articles.

The current Sullivan Community is teeming with incredible students. Their accomplishments could fill books. Some Sullivans have been given chances to partake in extravagant pilgrimages to serve abroad.
    Others are just students who made the most out of every opportunity presented to them at their respective high schools, participating in what seems like every extra-curricular offered.

The accomplished portfolios of current Sullivans, however, could dissuade potential applicants. The sheer magnitude of the accomplishments of the Sullivans, not including the incredible nature of the deeds, often come across as intimidating to potential students.

This could be the reason that when many students were surveyed across campus, all were aware of the scholarship but had not applied.

Gus Arroyo, a freshman Sullivan Leader, participated in four years of Cross Country/Track and Field and was captain for two of those years. He volunteered all his summers at a nonprofit organization, where he became a member of the Board of Directors.

Additionally, he was awarded a prestigious award from the Portland Trail Blazers, “as an athlete who performs above and beyond in sports and the community.”

When asked why Arroyo believed he was selected for the award, he said, “I guess I would say I am a well-rounded person, a leader, and somebody who can be an agent for change.”

The expectations for the Sullivan winners are high, and result in cultivating leaders on campus that extend to their friends and throughout
    the community.