Lucy Dacus Album Outshines Coffee Shop Competition

When you think of coffee shops—cozy couches, rich aromas and delightful conversations come to mind. But what would be a coffee shop without the “coffee shop” music? The soothing tunes that play in the background often go unnoticed. But once in a while there’s that one song that catches your attention. You stop reading or typing up your essay and ask to yourself or your friend sitting across from you, “Who sings this?”

The song that captured your attention is “Night Shift” by Lucy Dacus. And while her honeyed voice may emulate the stereotypical “coffee shop” sound, she’s an artist you definitely don’t want to dismiss as background music.

Dacus is a 22-year-old indie rock singer-songwriter from Richmond, Virginia. In 2016, the release of her first album “No Burden,” sparked attention and landed her a record deal with the record label, Matador. It paved the way for her latest album, “Historians,” which was released on March 2. The title is a perfect representation of what to expect from this 10-track album.

Darcus is truly a storyteller, articulating her life through her authentic lyrics. She takes on the role of a historian where each song tells a story of her past. From slow and breathy to catchy and layered, her second album showcases the diversity of her rich and sultry voice.

“Night Shift,” the song that originally garnered Dacus recognition, starts off the track. In a recent interview with Newsweek, Dacus broke down each song and the story behind it. For “Night Shift,” she claims that this is the only break-up song she’s written. Her rollercoaster of emotions is felt in the song that starts o slow at first, and then after a break in the song, the pace picks up and builds as she belts out the last verses.

“Next of Kin” is an upbeat, lighthearted song with a heavy message. Dacus writes, “I am at peace with my death / I can go back to bed.” It delivers the message that you come to terms with death, you can then truly live your life.
Slowing the album down a bit, the song “Pillar of Truth” is both breathy and daunting.

The fifth song on the track is what Dacus named as the centerpiece of the album. “Yours & Mine” was actually inspired by the protests that occurred in Baltimore in 2015 against racism and police brutality. A fierce guitar
solo accompanies the lyrics which spread the message of not being afraid of the consequences of protesting.

The whole album is a lyrical masterpiece where Dacus is a historian of her own life.

1