The Week in Review

Four Dead in Oklahoma State University Homecoming Parade Tragedy—

Adacia Chamber, a 25-year-old Stillwater resident, was arrested on a DUI charge Saturday morning after crashing into a crowd of onlookers at the Oklahoma State University Homecoming Parade in Stillwater, Okla. Four people were killed and more than three-dozen people were injured. According to CBS News, three adults died on scene and one two-year-old child died later at the hospital. CNN recently stated that Chambers is facing murder charges and could face life in prison, according to Police.

Student Protests in South Africa—

Increasing tuition at public universities in South Africa sparked massive student protests this week. Protestors said that the South African government has not provided adequate financial support to public universities, forcing many schools to increase tuition fees. Starting on Oct. 14 at the University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg student protesters targeted public universities and the government. Last Wednesday students gathered around the African National Congress headquarters building. The protests have been so large that many public universities have been forced to temporarily close. President Jacob Zuma declared Friday. Oct. 23. that the government would stop the increasing tuition fees at public universities.

Vice President Biden Will Not Run in the 2016 Election—

In a speech given at the White House Rose Garden on Wednesday, Oct. 21, Vice President Joe Biden announced his decision to not run in the 2016 presidential election. Biden explained that although the grieving process over his eldest son is coming to an end, he believes he has run out of time to run a realistic campaign. “Unfortunately, I believe we are out of time—the time necessary to mount a winning campaign,” Biden said. This announcement came as a surprise to many, including members of Biden’s staff.

Two Robbed in Capitol Hill, Seattle—

A mother and daughter were robbed at 11:30 p.m. Saturday night in the Capitol Hill district of Seattle on East Union Street. There were six attackers, according to the Seattle Times, two females and four males. The women punched the mother in the face and stole her purse. The daughter was also hit when she tried to defend her mother. Both the mother and daughter were treated for minor injuries. Police found a 17-year-old girl by the scene. She is now under investigation for robbery in the Youth Services Center, according to the Seattle Times.

Hurricane Patricia —

Hurricane Patricia is the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere. On Friday evening it hit Cuixmala, Mexico at 6:15 p.m. as a Category 5 hurricane with roaring165-mph winds. By 4 a.m. Saturday, however, the storm had weakened to a Category 1 hurricane. Later that afternoon Hurricane Patricia further weakened into a remnant low-pressure system. Hurricane Patricia traveled between Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo in west central Mexico and weakened drastically within twenty-fours. Hurricane Patricia did little damage to Mexico’s major cities. Patricia is unique in that it is the most rapidly changing tropical storm in history. As of Tuesday evening, the death toll remains at zero.

Earthquake in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India—

A 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck the Middle East and parts of South Asia on Monday, Oct. 26. Centered in northern Afghanistan, the quake was felt in cities such as Islamabad, Pakistan and Kabul, Afghanistan. So far the death toll has reached 180, with many more injured and widespread infrastructure destruction across the region. The international community acted almost immediately, with neighboring nations such as India pledging assistance, and world leaders expressing their compassion towards those affected. Large scale relief programs are currently being developed by non-profits around the world.