Tennis Captures Postseason Victories & Softball Season Finale

Nicole Schlaeppi
Nicole Schlaeppi • The spectator

WAC Tennis

The Seattle University women’s tennis season ended Friday, April 24, in the WAC tournament semi-finals.  Taking on No. 1 seed and eventual champion New Mexico State, Seattle was only able to secure one doubles win.  

Michelle Lui and Kelli Woodman defeated Susana Alcaraz and Erika Castillo Lopez (NMSU) in the first doubles match.  NMSU would clinch a double victory by winning the next two doubles matches.  

NMSU then rattled off three straight singles wins, all in straight sets.

Despite the losses, there was some good news to come out of the weekend.  The Redhawks were able to take home a few WAC awards.  Lui and Woodman were elected to the All-WAC Doubles second team.  In addition to that, Lui was elected as the WAC Freshman of the Year.

Men’s tennis also saw it’s season end over the weekend, also losing to New Mexico State. Men’s doubles John Stormans and Connor Leahy defeated Germain Degardin and Charles Baron for SU’s only match win of the day.

NMSU clinched the match also with three straing singles wins, all on straight sets.  

The Redhawks are only losing one player to graduation, and will return a majority of the young team.

softball regular season finale

Nicole Schlaeppi  •  The spectator
Nicole Schlaeppi • The spectator

Seattle University softball (15-34, 4-10 WAC) dropped their final series of the season, losing to Cal State-Bakersfield (19-23, 7-8 WAC) 5-2.  
CSU scored quickly, driving in a run in the top of the first inning off a Karsyn Guzman single.  Seattle U threatened in the bottom half of the first, but were unable to bring in any runners and left two in scoring position.  

Cal State continued hitting well, driving in a pair of runs in both the second and third innings.  In the bottom of the seventh inning, Seattle’s offense took off.  Erika Rodgers drew a lead off walk before advancing to third after a Sara Dominguez double.  

Rodgers would score on an RBI groundout by centerfielder Isabella Geronimo, thus ending the shutout.  The Redhawks would score one final time off a Rose Saenz RBI single.  With two outs Seattle U loaded up the bases, but a Jenny Hurst strikeout ended the rally.

CSU Bakersfield pitcher Kelsie Monroe was credited with the win, pitching all seven innings allowing two runs on four hits with eight strikeouts.  

Seattle U heads to Las Cruces, NM for the WAC tournament [WHEN?!].  The Redhawks will be the No. 4 seed and open the tournament against No. 5 seed Utah Valley.

The editor can be reached at [email protected]