The Journey Leading to World Series 2014

Baseball sure has a long season, but here we are approaching the end with another World Series. This year, the two teams battling it out are the Kansas City Royals and the San Francisco Giants, who both entered the postseason as wild card teams. Let’s take a look how these two teams made it all the way to the Fall Classic.

HOW THEY GOT HERE

Kansas City Royals

The Royals finished the season 89-73 to take the top wild card spot in the American League. For a long time it looked like the two wild card spots would be going to the Oakland A’s and the Seattle Mariners, but Kansas City managed to get ahead and hold on to their spot. The Royals did not make the playoffs thanks to a high-powered offense. In fact, they were dead last in the league in terms of hitting home runs. It was a combination of great pitching and speed that got them to where they are.

In the wild card game, the Royals defeated the Oakland A’s in an exceptionally exciting playoff game. Oakland got out to a 7-3 lead, but the Royals clawed their way back and sent it into extra innings before taking the 9-8 victory in 12 innings.

Then the Royals breezed by the Los Angeles Angels, sweeping them in three games. The Angels held the top record in the league at 98-64. And to everyone’s surprise, the Royals won the American League with another clean sweep of the Baltimore Orioles in four games.

It has been 29 years since the last time KC made the playoffs, also the year they last won the World Series, and they are playing like a championship team. Here in Seattle there aren’t many Royals fans, but they have gathered plenty of support around the country.

“I’m not really a fan of either team, but I will be rooting for the Royals,” said junior Michael Schwartze. “They have been a fun team to watch this postseason.”

San Francisco Giants

The Giants finished their season with a record of 88-74. After winning the World Series in 2010 and 2012, they are attempting to get their third championship in just five seasons, a truly impressive feat. They did not have the greatest season up until now, but have performed exceptionally well in the playoffs.

“The season was a roller coaster,” said junior Gabe Patti. “Up until the All-Star break we were playing the best baseball of anyone and after the All-Star break we miserably dropped. It was a true test to fan loyalty.”

Giants fans are easy to come by at Seattle U, where a large number of students hail from the Bay Area, and they were able to see their team do just enough to earn the second wild card spot in the National League.

In the wild card game against the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Giants embarrassed their opponents with an 8-0 victory. They followed that showing with a divisional series win over the Washington Nationals in four games. The Nationals were the number one seed for the National League with a 96-66 record.

Then the Giants took four out of five against the St. Louis Cardinal to secure their spot taking on the Royals. Despite being the lowest seeded team to make the playoffs, they have certainly looked like one of the best teams out there.

“I don’t think they got to this point based on luck,” said sophomore Olivia Hiles. “They are good. They are a strong team and they work well together.”

The World Series

• Game 1: Giants 7 Royals 1
    • Game 2: Giants 2 Royals 7
    • Game 3: Giants 2 Royals 3
    • Game 4: Giants 11 Royals 4
    • Game 5: Giants 5 Royals 0
    • Game 6: Giants 0 Royals 10
    • Series tied 3-3

Last night the Kansas City Royals managed to tie the series and force a Game 7 with the San Francisco Giants, keeping their magical season alive. Tonight these two teams will play the final game of the season in a winner-take-all showdown to see who will be crowned World Champions. The game is scheduled for 5p.m. wwon FOX.

Harrison can be reached at [email protected]