SU Basketball Falls to New Mexico State

TREVOR UMBINETTI • THE SPECTATOR

Seattle University men’s basketball lost a hard-fought game to New Mexico State University Saturday at Key Arena. The winning score was 92-77 with New Mexico walking away with a 15 point lead.

The game started in favor of the Redhawks with a three point play by junior Isiah Umipig. This left the Redhawks at an 8-6 lead. However, New Mexico State countered the Redhawks’ strong start. They began to pull away with an 11-1 run, leaving the score at 17-9. As the game progressed Seattle U fought hard to close on New Mexico, bringing the score to 36-32. New Mexico responded to this attempt with a 9-2 run, finishing the half with an 11 point lead.

TREVOR UMBINETTI  •  THE SPECTATOR
TREVOR UMBINETTI • THE SPECTATOR

Senior Clarence Trent went to the rim against New Mexico State on Saturday, Feb. 8. The Redhawks lost 77-92 at Key Arena.

The second half started off in favor of the Redhawks yet again, with two free throws and another solid three-point shot by Umipig in the first 30 seconds. This brought the score to 45-41, New Mexico still leading. The shooting streak was soon ended as New Mexico pulled far away, finishing the game strong by scoring 10 points in the last seven minutes. The final score, 92-77.

Seattle U head coach Cameron Dollar acknowledged the effort that his team brought to the court.
“(New Mexico’s) a good team, they’ve won our league six years in a row and lost three games on the road so we knew they were going to come in and fight and not give up any inches down there. I thought my guys came and fought hard and didn’t quit for sure,” Dollar said.

He also discussed his thoughts on the team’s upcoming games.

“We’ve done pretty good on the road, and so the plans are to get back to work on Monday and keep fighting and get the team ready to go back out on the road,” Dollar said.

Seattle U has games both Thursday against Western Athletic Conference (WAC) leader Utah Valley at 7 p.m., and Saturday at Bakersfield.