Bows Before Bros: A Guide To Shopping Local This Holiday Season

The stroke of midnight on Black Friday is always lively with sounds–shop doors opening, people shouting and feet shuffling, cash registers ringing–sounds that mean the holiday season is here and that holiday shopping has begun. While it may be nice scoring major discounts from big companies such as Walmart or Macy’s, it’s also a time that we should remember to support our own local shops in our neighborhood.

The day after Black Friday is known as Small Business Saturday–a day where local shops offer their own specials and discounts. Yes, those have come and gone, but like many big companies, these local shops offer price cuts throughout the weekend. The weekend is not over yet and there are more ways to save with local businesses throughout the month of December.

Reasons to buy your loved ones gifts from local stores

1. You can skip the long lines and congested aisles that you find at major stores.
2. Many items are made right here in the U.S. which means you’re creating job opportunities and supporting good jobs in small towns.
3. Products in small shops are thoughtfully curated, which means there are many unique products that are hard to find.
4. Your loved ones will feel special with gifts that many will ask them, “Where did you get that?”
5. You’ll have fun, and lots of it. Shopping local means you’re strengthening community within your neighborhood, you’ll get to know your shop owners, and they might even have some treats while you shop. It doesn’t get better than that.

Places to go

Shop the Hill | Capitol Hill
November 30, 2014
There’s so much to see and so little time with so many shops offering up deals. Restaurants and bars are also giving special discounts, so it’s just a full day of saving money.
Don’t miss: Go to the Market Manager Booth at the Capitol Hill Farmer’s Market and tell them “Farmer’s Rule” to get a $2 market bucks that can be spent at any vendor (not including alcohol purchases)
Click here, here and here for more info.

Shop the Square and Howlidays | Pioneer Square
December 6 & 13
During these Saturday specials, shoppers can either download and print or obtain a shoppers passport from selected Pioneer Square stores. Each store you visit gives you one stamp (with no purchase necessary for a stamp). Five stamps makes you eligible to be entered in a drawing to win a prize.
My favorites: Fleurt, Bon Voyage Vintage, E. Smith Mercantile
Click here for more info and the shoppers passport.

Urban Craft Uprising: Seattle’s Largest Indie Craft Show | Seattle Center
December 6 & 7
More than 150 local craft, DIY and art vendors will be selling their work. Shoppers get grab bags filled with goodies.
For more info, click here.

Have fun!