The Grace Space: Music for June

As someone who loves music, I’m always checking calendars regarding when my favorite or up-and-coming bands are coming to the Seattle area. For all of you beautiful people who share that passion, I have complied a list of some of the acts coming to Seattle in the month of May, along with descriptions and the bands’ websites.

You no longer have to worry about looking around—let me do the research for you!

JUNE 7: EELS @ The Moore, 8 p.m.
    Special guest: Chelsea Wolfe | All ages | $27 advance, $32.50 day of show
    Rocking out since 1995, singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Mark Oliver Everett has released 11 LPs in his 19-year career. The Loz Feliz, Calif. native has most recently worked with Funny or Die on a parody video of their song “Cold Dead Hand,” and released their 11th EP “The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett” on April 21.
    Listen to: “A Swallow in the Sun”

JUNE 7: THE WEST @ Neumos, 8 p.m.
    Special guests: Friends and Family, Julia Massey and the Five Finger Discount, Psychedelpehant, DJ HAZ-M.A.T. | 21+ | $10 advance
    Seattle-based dance group The West have been rocking out throughout the area since forming in 2011. For this show, the group will be joined by a ton of special guests in accordance with Best Clothing Co. to present the “#WORSTATBEST” Skateboarding Tour Fundraiser.
    Listen to: “Clock is Ticking”

JUNE 10: THE MOUNTAIN GOATS @ The Showbox, 9 p.m.
    21+ | $22.50 advance, $25 day of show
    Formed in 1991, the Claremont, Calif. indie folk rock band has gained a ton of critical acclaim in the last 23 years. Currently a three-piece, the group’s music has been featured on Showtime’s “Weeds” and AMC’s “The Walking Dead.”
    Listen to: “Until I Am Whole”

JUNE 11: METRONOMY @ Neumos, 8 p.m.
    Special guest: Cloud Control | 21+ | $15 advance
    The English electronic music group may look like they could be fresh out of college, but the four piece have been cranking out tunes since 1999. In their time in the music industry, the group has also remixed a great deal of popular music, including songs by Franz Ferdinand, Kate Nash, and Lykke Li.
    Listen to: “Love Letters”

JUNE 17: THE FRAY @ Marymoor Park, 6:30 p.m.
    Special guests: Barcelona, Oh Honey | All ages | $44.50- $54.50
    The Denver, Colorado four-piece is probably best known as being your pop rock fix from middle/high school, especially with hits such as “Over My Head (Cable Car)” and “How to Save a Life.” Nowadays, the group just recently released their fourth LP “Helios” and has continued to gain critical acclaim with Grammy awards and Billboard 200 rankings.
    Listen to: “Love Don’t Die”

JUNE 20: Lily & Madeleine @ Columbia City Theater, 9 p.m.
    Special guest: Shannon Hayden | 21+ | $15
    The folk-pop duo, consisting of Lily and Madeleine Jurkiewicz, has only been on the music scene since 2012. Yet, they have been praised throughout that time, with The New York Times stating: “the thing that flags them as extraordinary is their sibling vocal blend, deep and seamless and relaxed.”
    Listen to: “Devil We Know”

JUNE 25: DEVO @ The Neptune, 8 p.m.
    21+ | $50 general, $100 VIP
    The Ohio rock group, who initially formed in 1972, gained a cult following with their 1980 single “Whip It.” Since then, the group’s style has gone on to include deadpan surrealist humor, satirical social commentary, and beautiful stage attire.
    Listen to: “Fresh”

JUNE 25: KING KHAN & THE SHRINES @ Neumos, 8 p.m.
    Special guests TBD | 21+ | $15 advance
    With origins in both Montreal and Berlin, the garage-rock and psychedelic soul band have been creating tunes with a variety of instruments since 1999, including the baritone, saxophone and drums. The group released their eighth studio album in Sept. 2013, titled “Idle No More.”
    Listen to: “Better Luck Next Time”

JUNE 26: ROBYN + ROYKSOPP @ Marymoor Park, 7 p.m.
    Special guest: Zhala | All ages | $39.50
    The Swedish recording artist we’ve all come to love with songs like “Dancing on My Own” and “Call Your Girlfriend” will be joined by the Norwegian electronic duo to create a night that will be unforgettable. Even if you solely attend solely for the blonde soprano, I’m pretty sure you will not be disappointed.
    Listen to: “Monument”

JUNE 27: FITZ & THE TANTRUMS @ Showbox SoDo, 9 p.m.
    Special guests: Max Frost, HOLYCHILD | All ages | $30 advance, $35 day of show
    The Los Angeles six-piece has only been around since 2008, but their indie pop and neo soul sound has placed them in high acclaim. The band’s second studio LP, “More Than Just a Dream,” was released just last May, and their music has been used a great deal in both television and commercials.
    Listen to: “Out Of My League”

JUNE 27: MINUS THE BEAR @ Columbia City Theater, 9 p.m.
    Special guest: Dust Moth | 21+ | $27.50 advance, $30 day of show
    The Seattle group has been creating alt-rock, indie rock, and math rock tunes since 2001, all with a little help from their glorious beards of course. Most recently, the group released their first acoustic full-length album “Acoustics 11” in September, allowing all of us to enjoy a little more of the band.
    Listen to: “Pachuca Sunrise”